Prewar triumph specials

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Terry 1. Terry Button
Boronia, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev, once again. I happened to glance through an old copy of the Pre-1954 Heritage newsletter and what did I see but two photographs of your vehicle lined up with Geoff W's two Super Sevens. They are in Newsletter No 41 of Winter 2004. If you want my copy you are welcome to it. Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trev Rev Trevor R
Woombye, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1932 Triumph Scorpion "Meriel"
Thanks Terry. I would love a copy of the photos you mentioned.
The brake problems are not going to have me beat. I have been doing a bit of research on ways to fix the problem. There are a few answers to this situation. I could move the pivot point for the master cylinder push rod. This would give a different pedal feel. I could fit a power booster. This would be difficult due to available room. I could increase the size of the wheel cylinders. Bit of a mission and rather expensive. The way I am thinking of going is to reduce the size of the bore on the master cylinder. This would be one way to recondition the cylinder at the same time. End result is that more pressure is exerted to the wheel cylinders, the master could be returned to its original size fairly easily and with a bit of good engineering I might just be able to stop the car. The existing bore is 1 1/8 inches and I am thinking of reducing it to 7/8 inches. On top of all this I heard that the brake linings that are fitted now are a modern hard material and I shall replace them with a softer compound. The original materials were loaded with asbestos and no longer available so that is not an option.
You say the track on my car is a bit wider than stock. How does 5 feet 4 1/4 sound. I can at this stage only imagine what that has done to the road holding. You are right in saying that there would need to be some major body work done to change this.
cheers Trevor.

Terry 1. Terry Button
Boronia, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev. I also have a photo-copied book of the Service Information sheets and technical drawings of the Super Seven. I don't know if they are of any use to you as there have been so many changes to your car but, if they are of any use, I can photo-copy then again and post them up to you with the newsletter. At least they would show you the original set up as the Seven and Nine had pretty much the same running gear, although the Nine did have a new chassis. I'm not surprised at the 5ft 4 1/4in track. The car always looked very wide and low, which is probably why we thought it had been built for competition, particularly hill climbs. To be quite honest, you would have an enormous job (and a hugely expensive one) if you tried to restore it to Super Nine specs. You would be better off keeping it as the 'Special', getting it on the road and just having fun with it. It is a nice looking car in its own right and I did think about buying it myself when Geoff first started talking about selling all three of his Triumphs. Anyway, look me up on the White pages and give me a call and I will get this stuff up to you.

Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trev Rev Trevor R
Thanks for all Terry. I will look you up in White pages so you can expect a call some time in the next few days.
It's very comforting to know that you were contemplating buying the car. It shows that at least one other is on the same wavelength as me. If I ever get to sell her I may rest assured that there is one prospective buyer.
Call you soon: Trev.

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hey can anybody out there help me with finding a chassis number on my S9? I know roughly where it should be but would like to know if I'm looking for a stamped number or a hand written engraved number. Roughly what height are the numbers?
Trev.

saltddirk Dirk Devogeleer
Herne (SPK), BRA, Belgium   BEL
1937 Triumph Vitesse
1937 Triumph Vitesse
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Goldie"
1950 Triumph Renown "Blue Lady"
Trevor,
Not sure if Triumph ever stamped chassis numbers.
The "commissioning" number should be on a plate driver side,
There will probably be also a body number, stamped somewhere on the "firewall"

The Vitesse, Roadster and Renown all had these, but no stamped chassis numbers.
I would be interested to learn that the S9 was done differently.

Although on the Totally T Type website (MG's yes I know....eye rolling smiley ) there is a titbit of information that MG's imported into Australia would have been registered by engine number and then stamped on the dumb iron, not sure if this is relevant for Triumphs.

Dirk

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev,thought I would drop a line to see how you have been getting on with the project,following the forum you seem
to have found out quite a bit of history already.I would love to see a good photo of it when you get around to taking a
couple of shots.My Dolomite is now finished and resides with my Gloria.I am considering buying a1939 Vitesse as a
project,can't afford to get lazy!
Regards John

Trev Rev Trevor R
All sounds very good John.
I've been building a bracket to hold the new brake master cylinder in such a way so I don't have to modify anything that all ready exists. It should be fitted in the next week and then bleed the brakes, get a roadworthy and register. I am so looking forward to driving the car and enjoying the wind in my face. I tried attaching some photos of it here but ran into problems. If you wish to see what she looks like you can go to my Facebook page (Trevor Rubie) and see some photos. You will notice that she has a few bits from a few different Triumphs and one or two parts from an early Ford. All this makes it harder to restore but a bit more challenging and many sleepless nights. Let me know if you are successful in finding her on FB, if not I could email some photos to you.
Trev.

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Hi Trevor,I tried the Facebook site ,found plenty of photos but none of the car. So I would appreciate a photo by email
at your convenience.i It never amazes me what cars are in sheds still.I searched for years for a prewar Triumph without
success and now that I have two,I am finding cars stuck away in sheds for decades.A chap emailed me this week in
search of a 1938 Dolomite chassis.His fatherinlaw pulled the car down years ago and stored the parts all over the place and at some stage the chassis was thrown out! Well I made some enquires and today I got a call from Qld from a friend
who can supply a chassis.I have also located another complete car which I hope to look at soon.As the owners of these
cars get older more will come on the market as the collections are dispersed after they pass on or go into aged care.
Hopefully I will have my cars and enjoy them for a few more years.
Regards John

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hey, can anybody help me with an item or info on the item. I need a complete front axle, springs, hubs and wheels for my 32 S9. Is the axle assembly the same as the S7? HELP, HELP.
Trev.

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hi Guys. I'm still trying to get my S9 to stop. Brakes have been a problem on this special since its reincarnation. I am now trying to find out if it is possible to sleeve the brake drums as the old ones are over the allowable maximum diameter. Any pointers as to who or how would be appreciated. My thoughts are to turn a cast sleeve to a good fit and spot weld it into the original brake drum. Has anybody done this or had experience with it? I mentioned an S9 but the brake components are from a 34 English Ford.

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Hi Trev,regarding your oversize brake drums,are they too thin or just outside the displacement of your shoes? If they are
the second case,you can build up the piston start position ,or find another set of brake drums from another car that can be machined down.I have just put a set of Toyota Tarago drums onto a 1946 Riley front wheel hub.You need to establish if the stud pattern is common and what dia,then talk to a good brake company to find some options.Alternately visit a wrecker with a sample stud pattern and a good ruler.Good luck.
Regards John

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hi folks. As many of you who follow this blog will know, I have been trying to find the chassis number on my 1932 S9 Roadster. I have been told it should be located on the left side front chassis rail. I have looked often but without success and now I know why. After a recent safety check I was told to do some work on the right hand steering arm. I removed the wheel and had a good look at what was needing the work and my eyes wandered to the chassis rail just below the steering box. There, big and bold was the chassis number 60357. A bit of investigation and I now no longer own an S9 as the number belongs to a Scorpion. With the original body on this car being built by Federated Body Builders at Wirths Park I now have a rather rare classic. Thing is that I now have the car for sale if anybody is interested. Any interest?
Trev.

triumphtony Avatar
triumphtony Tony Milligan
Maroochydore, Qld, Australia   AUS
1937 Triumph Dolomite "Dolomite"
Hi John L.
I have just returned from a Triumph Rally where there were a number of smaller Triumphs mainly 7's, and a particularly nice Elfin Racer. My own Triumph is a 1937 Dolomite 6 sports saloon. I might be able to help with information and would be be happy to correspond if you wish to reply.

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Hi Tony,Sorry I didn't see you comment earlier,is your car the one I saw for sale in SA earlier this year? I am not sure if I mentioned that I have a Dolomite special that I originally bought in SA.It has original matching engine and is mechanically original.It won people's choice at Triumph show and shine the other day.You have the 6 cyl which is very rare,did they have a longer chassis than the4 cyl?I gather the rally with John Shepard went well,unfortunately I couldn't make it up as I am president of the Vintage Sports Car Club of Victoria and had an event I couldn't miss.Talk to you later Tony.
Regards John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster