Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi all prewar triumph owners, I am looking to chat with other owners of prewar specials ,racers or sports cars.
I currently have a Gloria special and a Dolomite special and thinking about building a Vitesse special. As these
cars are quite rare anyway ,there are very few owners in Aus.Looking on the net there seems to be a few around
but I have only located one other owner. So if anybody knows someone with a special I would love to compare
notes and maybe help each other with parts and info.Hope someone out there is on line.
Steptoe 1950

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trev Rev Trevor R
Woombye, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1932 Triumph Scorpion "Meriel"
Hi John. I have just purchased a 1932 Triumph Sport. The car was originally owned by a Melbourne resident and you may be familiar with it. This car has had some bad mechanical changes undertaken and I am still trying to obtain information about some of those changes. My biggest question at this point in time is the engine. In the 50's a Triumph 2000 engine was squeezed into the front and all I know about this motor is the engine number, TRA1116E. Can you or anybody tell me what car this engine may have originated in?
Cheers Trev.

saltddirk Dirk Devogeleer
Herne (SPK), BRA, Belgium   BEL
1937 Triumph Vitesse
1937 Triumph Vitesse
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Goldie"
1950 Triumph Renown "Blue Lady"
Hi Trevor
TRA is a Triumph Roadster Engine,
TRA 1116 E would probably come out of a beginning 1949 car with a commisioning number somewhere between TRA 1110 and 1120. It would seem that these cars were build in small batches of about 10 cars, the engine number never matches the commisioning number. My car is TRA 1351 and the engine number is 1355 E. Build in May 49. Until now I have never seen a car where both numbers match.
The closest matching commision numbers of cars known to the club are TRA 1114 and TRA 1119.

Kind regards

Dirk

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trev Rev Trevor R
Thank you Dirk. The information is very valuable and much appreciated.
Trev Rev.

1937 Triumph Vitesse
1937 Triumph Vitesse
Yr welcome,
I had a look at the picture of the car on your profile and it is not some I have come across before.
Did the Triumphs use different names then in Australia.
Got me intrigued (if that how you spell it)

Nice looking motor Btw

Cheerz
Dirk

Trev Rev Trevor R
The Triumph is not really a Mayflower, it's a Triumph S9 Roadster. On the register page the S9 was not listed as a model and I had to call it something so I nominated the earliest model. The car is made up of a few bits from various cars and it does have a Mayflower grill. It also has a Ford front axel to take the extra weight of the 2000cc motor. It is an interesting car that will take a lot of restoring. The reason for the different motor was because the previous owner could not get a replacement engine for it back in the 1950's. I believe there may be one other S9 in Australia which makes my restoration a bit of a challenge. I now believe that the original lights have been replaced with the Mayflower lights and that the gearbox is also Mayflower. The early Mayflower was a column change with the gear lever on the right hand side of the steering wheel. By changing this to a floor shift the gears are all back to front to the standard H pattern which creates some interesting movements when changing gear. I shall have to undertake some tricky engineering to correct this if the new transmission is retained.
As you can now understand I have a challenge to get this Triumph back to any where near original. In a couple of days time the builders are starting to construct the new workshop for the car and I look forward to giving it a home all of its own.
Trev.

PS intrigued. Correct spelling, well done.

1937 Triumph Vitesse
1937 Triumph Vitesse
You have your work cut out for you then!!!!
Will you try and bring her back with original engine, GB, ....?

Unfortunatelly I do not know anybody with a Super 9, mine is a 14/60 Vitesse and I believe the only other cars on the road in Belgium are Either Gloria tourers or Blossom, the 8 cylinder montecarlo recreation.

However, if you need any info on the engine I might be able to help.

Dirk

1937 Triumph Vitesse
1937 Triumph Vitesse
Trev,
Not sure if you want to change the front axle.
There are 2 hubs for sale on Ebay.co.uk.
It would need to be checked but I believe they are the same as S9 if of the same vintage

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/VINTAGE-CAR-TRIUMPH-SUPER-SEVEN-FRONT-AXLES-AND-HUBS-/321088469684?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac25d3ab4

not a colleague-friend-relative etc of mine, just passing on info spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Dirk

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hey thanks for the info Dirk.
I took a look at the item on E-Bay and noticed that it was a three stud pattern on the S7. For the S9 we have a 5 stud pattern so it will not be a realistic item to buy and use.
Thanks again.
Trev Rev.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Thanks for the suggestion Trevor, I've added the following Triumph models to the Registry:

Triumph S7
Triumph S9
Triumph Gloria

You can edit your vehicle model now from your Member Home Page.

- Skye

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev,sorry I posted a reply to your early question in the wrong topic.If want parts or advice I will try and help
in your rebuild.
John

Terry 1. Terry Button
Boronia, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev, I think I know your vehicle. Did it previously belong to Geoff W. ? If so, I knew it as the 'Green Machine' and did a couple of outings in it with Geoff four or five years ago. IF it is the same one, I think it was put together back in the fifties for hill climbs. It was based on a 1934 Gloria chassis with the old Roadster engine dropped in. Mayflower radiator grill, Lancia bonnet, Ford front end and, from memory, Datsun seats and instruments. Probably a few bits and pieces from other makes added along the way. Geoff also had two very nice Super Sevens that he had built up from wrecks. I also have a Super Seven Roadster that Geoff used as a model for one of his. You have an 'interesting' vehicle, if it is the same one. It certainly used to gallop along O.K. but I was always a bit concerned about the brakes, the hydraulics of which came out of something else and didn't seem to be adequately attached to the car! Have fun with it anyway. Terry.

Trev Rev Trevor R
Hi Terry. Yes this is Geoff's old machine. The general description is about right with one or two details a little in error. The brakes are atrocious and this is what I am working on at present. No firm plans for the next step in the brakes but my first line of attack will be softer shoes. If this does not do enough then I will look at changing the backing plates and fitting a different system. All this will be done with the final restoration in mind but for the time being I just want to get it mobile and registered so I can use it.
You may be in a position to help me with some photos of the front suspension and axle for a Super Seven. I need to know what the original looked like and a few details of sizes so I can start fabricating would be so appreciated. Can you help?
I have almost finished building the workshop where Meriel will be housed and operated on. This weekend should see a couple more drawers built for the storage cabinets, then its plaster and paint and "Hello Meriel."
Good to hear from you Terry, I hope we have a good and long association with each other.
Trev.

Trev Rev Trevor R
Whoops. Sorry Terry, I mistook your comments about your car and now see that you have a Seven not a Nine. Same thing still stands though for you or anybody. Can you help with data and photos for the front end and axle? Looking forward to seeing some detail.
Trev.

Terry 1. Terry Button
Boronia, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi Trev,
I expect you have a copy of the little handbook 'Care and Maintenance of the Triumph Super Seven, Super Nine, Scorpion 6cyl. and Twelve Six'. If not, you can often get them from e-bay for a few dollars. Be aware, despite the descriptions given, they are all reproductions, so don't spend too much. Anyway, on page 5 it has the dimensions of the vehicles and it shows that all of those models have the same track width of three feet, seven and a half inches and the wheelbase of the Super Nine is seven feet, three inches, some six inches longer than the Super Seven. From memory, your vehicle has a much wider track. I thought the back axle was Ford as well as the front, which may account for the five stud wheel hubs. I'm not sure what the S9 had but it was a very similar vehicle to the S7, with a slightly bigger engine. I think if you tried to restore your car to S9 specifications, you would have to drastically modify the body as well. Have you been in touch with the 'Triumph Pre-1954 Heritage' of Australia and New Zealand? I haven't been for some years and I think they became part of the Triumph Owners Club in NSW a few years back but the people involved knew an awful lot about the old Triumphs and kept a detailed register, plus lots of spares. I'm sure that they could tell you exactly what your car was from the chassis number which, I presume, is on the front, right hand dumb iron, as it is on the S7. I'm no expert on these cars and I'm no great restorer. I haven't touched my car for several years but am ever hopeful that I will get it back on the road one day. A health problem stopped me working on it five or six years ago and, although well now, I took up lawn bowls which has taken over my life! If you give me a call (I'm in the phone book and there aren't too many Buttons in Boronia), I could send you any info and pictures that I have.
Good luck. Terry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster