HELP! Steering wheel removal Saloon/Roaster TDA

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Colts Neck, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hey out there! HELP.
Attached are two views of my steering wheel, pinch bolt removed. This is not what the book shows with 3 "grub" screws which (I presume) free the horn button cover. I tried turning the cover gently, and wanted to pry it some but that old plastic would probably crack. So resisting the urge to hit it with a hammer, I am taking the time to see if any of you have ever dealt with this issue?
I am attempting to remove the steering column with the gear box attached, out the bottom. This is to facilitate cab removal to get to the frame and chassis. I want to save as much as possible and one day we may have a great big garage sale for the parts. I have removed the shift mechanism already.
I believe this may be the Burman steering system which is different from that of the Bishop's cam steering gear, which uses part #33 ( Fig 15) P 11 sec. G, Triumph Instruction Manual.
The book illustrates removing the grub-screws on p 14, Fig. 17 and 18 where the trafficator switch is in the center of the wheel. I have looked hard and none are present.
Thanking you in advance of some good info,
No ideas eh? 5/8,
Well I learned a little about this assembly. First, I slid the whole steering column back in the car, avoiding the dreaded taking apart. Second a youtube story shows the cap just being rotated and slid out of the internal sleeve where it lives. There is a small center tube which I have seen split on some Tr's. It also may extend clear out the bottom of the steering box, where it can be seen with a very small clamp with screws. With all the bolts out, and don't forget to remove the back bumper, 2 nuts, 13/16" head, were not tight. Had the torch out. rolled out very nicely and proves to show that no amount of prep can replace watching cautiously when doing anything. Ma came out long enough to direct and saw the problem immediately and stopped the movement. The body is about 3 ft in the air, and on flimsy stick cradles, wide enough for the trailer at 8ft. (front) The rear can be narrower.
Lowered body on to smaller trailer, body is 10 ft long, frame is 14 ft (almost) oal. Measuring widths today. cab of Triumph is very narrow, especially at the front, photos, The S10 frame is about 40" od except in the cab areas.
back to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 10:24 AM by triumphTDA1949.

Attachments:
IMG_4146.JPG    51 KB
IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG    44.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links