AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JimRoy Avatar
JimRoy Jim Garey
Valrico, Florida, USA   USA
1948 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Sky"
1963 Triumph TR3B "To Be Continued"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Roxie"
I need to have my headlamp reflectors re-silvered, but the only place I have found in the US with prices posted is very expensive (I think it was $190 for each 8 inch reflector). A couple of chrome shops offered to chrome or nickel plate them for about $80 each. I'm wondering if anyone has had headlamp reflectors chromed or nickel plated and how well it well the reflector functions?

I did find a silver plating place in Southern California that people say will re-silver headlamps (Chidgey & Son) and Queen City Plating in New York, but need to talk to them during business hours (they lack email). Has anyone used either?

Thanks,

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi Jim, I have had mine done in Australia and they cost $50A each,they seem to be ok .It is a bit hard to compare with the old ones as they pretty ordinary.
It is worth upgrading your globes to Quartz Halogen at the same time.
John L

JimRoy Avatar
JimRoy Jim Garey
Thanks John,

I finally found a place that will replate them ($200 US for the pair) and I will be sending them off tomorrow. I've had LED bulbs for the past year (they fit right into the BA15 lamp holders) from a souce in the UK and they have been very nice - bright white light, very little power consumption and no need for relays. Before, when I switched on the headlamps there was a 2 volt drop in the system, now its not noticeable. The LEDs are way brighter than the original incandescent bulbs but I have not compared them to quartz-halogen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi Jim,that's great,can you give me the contact for the LEDs ,I have been looking over here but there are none for the old lamp holders.I have 5 prewar Triumphs and the headlights are all generally dismal and without the white lines I couldn't find the road in some cases!
Regards JohnL

JimRoy Avatar
JimRoy Jim Garey
Hi John,

The link is in my email above. Click on the words "source in the UK". Its highlighted in green instead of the standard blue color and thus not so obvious - one of the odd things this board does with links.

Here is the link you can copy into your browser in case there is a problem with the link above. He just came out with a single bulb that can do high or low beam (dipped or not dipped) and has other single intensity bulbs. It really helps in these old cars to not push the wiring or dynamo capacity!

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php

Jim

JimRoy Avatar
JimRoy Jim Garey
I discovered that silversmiths often will silver plate headlamp reflectors so I sent mine to the place below. I selected him because he was nearby but had heard nothing about him other than my web search. I mailed the reflectors to him September 29th and had them back today October 10th and they are incredible! I had no idea they could look that good! I tried to take a photo but the pictures did not do them justice. He had a more difficult time because one of the reflectors was steel and the other brass, which I did not know. He charged $200 for the pair plus tax and return shipping. My reflectors are about 8.5 inches in diameter. I can't wait to get them installed with my LED dual beam (high and low) BA 15d bulbs.

David Barron
Barron's Silver Clinic
1880 Kentucky Ave
Winter Park, FL 32789
(407) 645 0220

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster