need help

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mikopaul Paul Brunelle
Gravenhurst, ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm a new member to the site . I am working on a 1948 Triumph 1800. The motor has been switched out at some point I believe with a Vanguard engine. The engine number in the Triumph now is V356879E. Can someone help me identify what engine this is and if in fact it is a Vanguard engine or something else entirely different? And where and if I can still find parts for this engine? This engine has been modified to fit into the Triumph.
Thanks very much
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
That IS a Standard Vanguard 2088cc engine. I'm not sure, but I would suspect it's a Phase III engine, so mid-1950s or later. Many bits are similar or even common to the TR3-TR4 engine. Alternatively, membership in the Standard Motor Club (UK) link to their site would give you access to their available spares.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

JimRoy Avatar
JimRoy Jim Garey
Valrico, Florida, USA   USA
1948 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Sky"
1963 Triumph TR3B "To Be Continued"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Roxie"
Hi Paul,

I and several others on this site have Roadster 1800 and 2000 models. I have a 2000. The 1800 was produced from 1946 to 1948 while the 2000 was produced in 1948-1949. The 2000 model originally had the standard vanguard engine, gearbox and differential in it. I have never heard of an 1800 refitted with a 2000 engine. Have you contacted the Triumph Roadster Club in the UK? They offer a lot of support as does a Google group. The Club and the Google group can help you figure out what you have and help find sources for parts. If you pm your email, I can put you in touch with Nigel of the Google group who can add you to that mailing list. If you contact the Roadster Club, Ron Cromar is the corresponding secretary.

Jim Garey

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster