Brake problem

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Leafields Christopher Wood
Uttoxeter, Staffordshire,, UK   GBR
I own a 1937 Frazer Nash fitted with Triumph Gloria brakes and master cylinder. The cylinder has just been sleeved and new seals fitted. Result: excellent brakes at last. However, after 120 miles no free movement on the brake pedal and brakes start to bind. I bled the pressure on a wheel cylinder and drove home on the hand brake. I am aware of the need to have some free movement on the pedal (1mm at the cylinder piston has been suggested) to relieve the pressure on the piston return stroke. Other than loss of the free movement can anyone think of another reason why the pressure is not being relieved.
Help appreciated. Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Aging rubber brake hoses can swell and block the internal cross-section, acting like a check valve and preventing the pressure from being relieved at the wheel cylinder.
Internal deterioration can also break loose rubber particles that can cause blockage.
Just a thought.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Leafields Christopher Wood
Uttoxeter, Staffordshire,, UK   GBR
Thanks Dave. It had crossed my mind that the hoses might be the cause. Unfortunately I have not managed to run the car since the brake problem because of a failed starter motor. Depressing the foot brake pedal with the front wheels jacked up produces no brake binding and there is plenty of free play in the linkage. I am coming to the conclusion that the pedal was getting jammed where it passes through the wooden foot board. I will be able to test it tomorrow when I have fitted the repaired starter motor.Regards, Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster