TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
I am in the middle of rebuilding my A/C heater box as well. Vance, I think our wives may have some sort of psychic connection. For the exact same reasons I chose to keep the A/C in my car.

Partly because I just wanted to see if I could do it, and partly because the internals were so badly corroded, I am attempting to rebuild with an evaporator from a Miata and the heater core from a Honda Civic. It has demanded a lot of finnagling with sheet metal, but I am getting close to having a finished product. And, hopefully, a car that my wife will ride in.

Right now, the only female who will occupy the passenger seat is my dog.

Brent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 08:05 PM by sheetsofsound.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1502512 by sheetsofsound I am in the middle of rebuilding my A/C heater box as well. Vance, I think our wives may have some sort of psychic connection. For the exact same reasons I chose to keep the A/C in my car.

Partly because I just wanted to see if I could do it, and partly because the internals were so badly corroded, I am attempting to rebuild with an evaporator from a Miata and the heater core from a Honda Civic. It has demanded a lot of finnagling with sheet metal, but I am getting close to having a finished product. And, hopefully, a car that my wife will ride in.

Nice to know I am not alone in this endeavor.

BTW, it may be too late, but Robsport carries replacement heater cores that do not use the odd seal that the stock cores require. Check carefully to ensure that the replacement is a drop in for the AC heater core. I would be just like Triumph to have different cores in the AC cars instead of using identical cores.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Vance,
you called it, the heater core IS different between the A/C and non-A/C. Can't remember who I checked with that had cores but they said they were not interchangeable, that is why I had one made.Triumph (BL) engineers strike again. Thanks, Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
I would like to put A/C in my coupe. Would love something modern. What about vintage air? Will be watching too see what you guys come up with.

Will

In reply to # 1503293 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1502512 by sheetsofsound I am in the middle of rebuilding my A/C heater box as well. Vance, I think our wives may have some sort of psychic connection. For the exact same reasons I chose to keep the A/C in my car.

Nice to know I am not alone in this endeavor.

BTW, it may be too late, but Robsport carries replacement heater cores that do not use the odd seal that the stock cores require. Check carefully to ensure that the replacement is a drop in for the AC heater core. I would be just like Triumph to have different cores in the AC cars instead of using identical cores.

Vance

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Well, I was going to have my intake gasket replaced. Along with my injector seals. However my order from Victoria British which i Phoned in on Friday and requested for delivery today Tuesday (and I paid second day fee's for) is delayed till tomorrow so now the car is hung up yet another day waiting for parts from a parts company that has no one you can talk to that understands the car Hobby. I was told the package missed being shipped on Friday by 28 minutes, I explained the deadlines were discussed between the parts operator and myself, and that the package was OK for being shipped on Friday. If this was the case that it missed being shipped on Friday because of their error should I have not been called or emailed and offered next day delivery so my package could still be here the day it was promised ? I wish I could've ordered these parts from the Wedge shop as I had originally Would have liked. Woody was not in on Friday, so I ordered thorough my second choice. The shame of it is I spoke with Woody yesterday ( he called me, because of my call on Friday) to ordered another part that I received first thing this morning I could've had my part today if I had just gone with my first choice. Just venting.

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 01:16 PM by Ron Avery.

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503393 by parrisw I would like to put A/C in my coupe. Would love something modern. What about vintage air? Will be watching too see what you guys come up with.

Will

If you are not concerned about originality, yes there are great kits out there. You didn't say if your car is a 7 or an 8. The 7 used a York compressor which is heavy and inefficient by today's standards.

The TR8s used the Delco rotary R4 compressor, quite a bit more efficient but still heavy.

My approach is to use original parts to maintain originality. But that is me. I obtained and rebuilt an original heater/AC box for the cabin. I sourced a rebuilt R4 compressor and OEM mounting brackets, dryer, condensor, fans and hoses. There will be some differences because overheat switches are obsolete, as are the Ranco switches. So it is an evolving story, but that is my approach.

Aftermarket kits usually require that the heater box be replaced. I did not want to go through all the engineering needed to fit, plumb and duct it. Much easier just to get parts from a parts car or on eBay. Also, brackets to mount the compressor and evaporator are sometimes difficult to source, so you must have them fabricated. I am sure that an aftermarket outfit like vintage air can help with this.

Vance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 10:57 AM by Darth V8R.

bowen6951 Avatar
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Vance,
I went with a standard binary switch which my A/C guy sourced. It replaced the Ranco (I had 2 couldn't make either of them work properly) and screws in the same port as the Ranco. Where the Ranco only turned on the fan this switch will cut the power if the line pressure goes too high/low and I have found if I'm turning on the A/C the engine is hot enough to start the fans.

Ron,
I have not had much luck with V-B, either their stuff was junk or it just didn't fit.

Attachments:
P1060727.JPG    68.3 KB
P1060727.JPG

sheetsofsound Avatar
For anyone looking for an easy to copy modification, what I have done is not it. I am in the midst of a V6 install, so I made my own brackets to mount an R4 compressor. I have tried to stick with GM parts, but found a condenser from a Kia Spectra that fit almost perfectly into the stock fan shroud. The evaporator required a sheet metal box be built around it to seal it into the stock AC heater box, and the heater core (from a Honda Civic) required some sheet metal blanking plates on either end. The rest is evolving...

Brent

parrisw William P
Got any pics? I’m not too worried about any fabrication.

Will.

In reply to # 1503499 by sheetsofsound For anyone looking for an easy to copy modification, what I have done is not it. I am in the midst of a V6 install, so I made my own brackets to mount an R4 compressor. I have tried to stick with GM parts, but found a condenser from a Kia Spectra that fit almost perfectly into the stock fan shroud. The evaporator required a sheet metal box be built around it to seal it into the stock AC heater box, and the heater core (from a Honda Civic) required some sheet metal blanking plates on either end. The rest is evolving...

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503434 by bowen6951 Hi Vance,
I went with a standard binary switch which my A/C guy sourced. It replaced the Ranco (I had 2 couldn't make either of them work properly) and screws in the same port as the Ranco. Where the Ranco only turned on the fan this switch will cut the power if the line pressure goes too high/low and I have found if I'm turning on the A/C the engine is hot enough to start the fans.

Ron,
I have not had much luck with V-B, either their stuff was junk or it just didn't fit.

As much as I value originality, I think you did the right thing. Do you have a part number for the switch? I have two Rancos, and when I look at them I am worried they will not work properly. Lots of moving parts inside - and 40 year old metal parts are suspect particularly when there is a spring that must be properly calibrated for everything to work.

Thanks,

Vance

bowen6951 Avatar
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Vance,
I talked to the A/C guy and he said he didn't know which one he used but any shop will have them, probably in stock. I attached a couple pics for your info. Thanks, Rob

Attachments:
P1060726.JPG    54.9 KB
P1060726.JPG

P1060738.JPG    48.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sheetsofsound Avatar
Will,

I really like what you've done with your car. Here are some pics so far. The evaporator and heater core are still being roughed together, but you get the idea. The second shot is the condenser. It fits in the stock fan shroud pretty well, although I had to add square stock on each side to get a good fit.

Brent

parrisw William P
Thanks.

That looks really good!

Will

In reply to # 1504538 by sheetsofsound Will,

I really like what you've done with your car. Here are some pics so far. The evaporator and heater core are still being roughed together, but you get the idea. The second shot is the condenser. It fits in the stock fan shroud pretty well, although I had to add square stock on each side to get a good fit.

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Ok, I finally have my TR8 back after 3 1/2 weeks at my mechanic. He completed all but 4 i teams on my 14 i team list.
The car will go back to him in early February for a week, while my wife and are are out of town for our 30th anniversary.
At that time he will replace my intake manifold gasket, injector seals, and the valve cover gaskets. To see if we can seal up some of the small oil leaks.
He did, get my new rebuild clock installed, along with new instrument panel lights. He also cleaned the gauge cluster and plastic panel that covers them.
The next item he fixed was my parking brake. It was only working on one rear wheel. Then there was the transmission mount that had collapsed.
He also replaced my radiator fan ( I have a none A/C car). The fan had gone missing without damaging any thing else.
He then fixed my driver side roll down window. It was binding, and I had been unsuccessful attaching the clips for the rubber trim on the outside of the door window ( scraper rubber strip).
Next up was the front brake upgrade kit from the Wedge shop. While the front suspension was off the car, he replace all the bushings with polyurethane bushings. Plus he repainted all the suspension parts and blasted the ones that were not to be painted.
Then he fixed my fog lights, They had not worked since I reinstalled them.
I know I am forgetting a few things. Now let me tell you that I had the 45-50 MPH shimmy through my steering wheel. Even after my new 15" wheels and a spin balance.
The car is now rock steady, at most speeds, the steering response is quicker and the car turns into a corner much sharper.
The brakes feel good as well. I have only driven about 10 miles since they were installed.
I am going on a New Years drive on Monday with the Triumph club. So I will let you more later.

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 07:10 PM by Ron Avery.

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503434 by bowen6951 Hi Vance,

Rob:

BTW, I noticed you are missing the sticker regarding recharging the system. If you wish, I can send you the artwork for both the original R12 sticker, and a plagiarized version showing the refill instructions for R134. You can print it on any color printer. PM me.

Just gotta love that blue paint. I have paint envy.

Vance

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links