TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Today I flushed the brake fluid on the DHC.

Worth while ask. There was some airing the system and lots of off color fluid. It had been several years since the
last brake fluid flush.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RossL Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
Sent my payment for my 1980 gold 5 speed (with A/C) TR8...................it should be in NJ next week

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1495429 by RossL Sent my payment for my 1980 gold 5 speed (with A/C) TR8...................it should be in NJ next week

Is this an ebay purchase? Just wondering why you said "sent my payment".

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RossL Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495527 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1495429 by RossL Sent my payment for my 1980 gold 5 speed (with A/C) TR8...................it should be in NJ next week

Is this an ebay purchase? Just wondering why you said "sent my payment".

Vance

Yes. Too many local cars in NJ have rust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 07:47 PM by RossL.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
Got my 2003 V6 Accord rear calipers and 2002 Civic Si rotors and pads.
Next stop, the junk yard for some 6mm plate grinning smiley

bcbennett Avatar
bcbennett Silver Member Brad B
Abilene, Texas, USA   USA
Today I removed my old fuel pump (20 mins) and installed a new one (two hours). I also replaced the battery with a fresh new one.

I turned the key and the car ran for 60 seconds; it then slowly died and will not turn over. I turn the key--it goes CLUNK. But no turning nor clicking nor anything. Just a loud clunk. All my accessories work, and the battery charges right up to 100% within minutes (from a home charger).

Ideas welcome. Could I have disconnected something while wrestling with the fuel pump? All connections look great. SIGH.

Brad.

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Is it possible that you seized the engine with a lack of oil pressure? I’d put the car in 5th gear that try rocking the car and watching the engine/fan for evidence of turning? Good luck.

ebz829 ray dullick
kilmarnock, ayrshire, UK   GBR
1982 Triumph TR7
2003 MG TF
Hi brad,
The starter motor needs the direct power from battery to solenoid,also the connection from ignition switch to solenoid to activate the bendix to engage with starter ring,now couple of things here, is the battery new, you said you changed it and it charged up almost immediately?.is battery up to the mark, ?could it be bendix has jammed on ring,try rocking car in higher gear to free, it may not be this ,but can happen,the point Im making it sounds like power problem, also of course that starter has maybe gone down,check all connections are tight, this must be the case,and clean,if these are ok, either battery or starter prob, hope you get fixed, this happened to me during my restoration of my 2 ltr soft top, ta Ray.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1498651 by bcbennett Today I removed my old fuel pump (20 mins) and installed a new one (two hours). I also replaced the battery with a fresh new one.

I turned the key and the car ran for 60 seconds; it then slowly died and will not turn over. I turn the key--it goes CLUNK. But no turning nor clicking nor anything. Just a loud clunk. All my accessories work, and the battery charges right up to 100% within minutes (from a home charger).

Ideas welcome. Could I have disconnected something while wrestling with the fuel pump? All connections look great. SIGH.

Brad.

Wow, Brad. If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all.

Start with the basics. Are the clamps well secured on the battery? Were they free of corrosion? I had a battery in my Mini, that did weird things, and was intermittent. Turned out it was the wrong battery and the posts were too small for the clamps on the cables, and so no matter how much you tightened them, you could pull them off with your fingers. The clunk makes it sound like you have a bad connection, and the starter cannot pull enough juice to turn over the starter. The battery connections are the first place to look since you did replace it.

As to the slowly dying. If your pump was not pumping fuel, the car would run on the fuel in the carbs, and when that was exhausted the engine would stall. Are you CERTAIN that you have the correct replacement pump? There were two styles, and if you install the wrong one, it either will not fit or it will not pump gas. One uses a 1/2" spacer when mounted to the block, the other does not. I say all of this because it sounds like your pump is not pumping fuel - so of course my first thought is that you have the wrong pump installed. I suppose it could be bad right out of the box, a distinct possibility with the low quality of some replacement parts these days.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

bcbennett Avatar
You said it, Vance...my luck is something. But this car sat for 10 years, so even though it has only 28K original miles, many components are just crapping out from age. But I am determined!

So, I did check all the connections, and they're good. I think I am literally just running in to Problem B (starter/solenoid is failing) while in the midst of Problem A (replacing fuel pump). So, I'll bang on the starter with a hammer to see if that helps, and if not, I'll replace both. THEN, I guess I'll pull the bottom hose to see if gas squirts out when the motor cranks. Yes?

B

Sprites and Spirits Avatar
Sprites and Spirits Ed Forrest
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Elizabeth"
1971 MG Midget
1981 AMC Eagle "Full Race"    & more
Brad...

Can you remove the spark plugs and see if the engine will turn over...either by grabbing the fan belt and (maybe) a fan blade? The idea is to assure the engine is turning freely.

Yes...a solid rap on the starter motor may work...but...there is also the possibility the starter is bound on the ring gear, So...give the car a shove ... maybe in 4th gear ... and see if that solves the issue...frees the ring gear.

At this point, I do not see you have a fuel issue...maybe...but...it won't start unless it turns. I hope I am understanding your plight and not telling you how to fly to the moon!

Enjoy...ed

bcbennett Avatar
All this is good advice. I did see the fan turn when I put it in 4th gear and rocked it back and forth in my garage, so I know the engine moves. And, I banged the starter with a hammer--no go. I guess I'll take it off and have it tested, but I see that I have to lower the exhaust for that.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links