TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
TA water pump

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    38.7 KB
image.jpeg

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, California, USA   USA
Hi Bob,
well I hope you are happy now, you've got me all excited about spending more money on something I may or may not need. I was telling a friend about it (that is having heating issues) and he wants one where did you get it, can the water pump be drilled for the correct bolt pattern? Have you driven with it much and do YOU see a difference in your temps? Thanks, Rob

P.S. a couple hundred bucks is nothing if it gives us more confidence in our cars.

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
FYI. You can press off the pulley mount and press on a TR8 one.

In reply to # 1490750 by bowen6951 Hi Bob,
well I hope you are happy now, you've got me all excited about spending more money on something I may or may not need. I was telling a friend about it (that is having heating issues) and he wants one where did you get it, can the water pump be drilled for the correct bolt pattern? Have you driven with it much and do YOU see a difference in your temps? Thanks, Rob

P.S. a couple hundred bucks is nothing if it gives us more confidence in our cars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
haven't driven yet-just installed last Thursday and will now finish flushing system for evans coolant and add laminova oil water cooler..hopefully this week...I didn't have heating issues only bad pump that I have known about.......evans theoretically is less efficient cooling wise without water so more flow will compensate for that and hopefully equal it out.....bill has a good thought on pressing the TA pulley mount off and adding the TR8 one from your old pump-have to check if it will sit correctly @ about 4 1/8 inches from where gasket sits on lip to center of v belt on pulley...I started with the buick "short" body pump so my adapter added aluminum to get it at the correct position...you could use the long pump and add about 1/4 inch -see pic..likely a better starting point....issue with the TR8 pulley is the large "hole" in the middle...another option I considered was starting with a TR8 pulley and modifying it to fit the buick-welding the center pulley and re drilling(weaker) or finding the manufacturer that makes these aluminum pulleys and have one made with center hole smaller at 1/2 in and drilled 4 holes to fit the buick pump and/or have them design new to fit the buick pump(no time for that)...luckily I know a really great fabricator that made the piece for me...agree on best cooling option for the TR8 especially with the infamous aluminum block heating issues we always hear about...you will need new mounting bolts for some bolts (shorter) because the pump bodies are different...my guess is with new pump fans will turn on less often or not at all at idle.....more to come and will do a write up for next TWOA newsletter...

thermostat hi flow I use
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-301/overview/

ta performance catalog that shows diff in water pump bodies-short, medium,long
http://www.taperformance.com/PDF/TAPerformance_Catalog.pdf

Attachments:
pump 1.jpg    38.5 KB
pump 1.jpg

pump 2.jpg    28.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
pump 3.jpg    35.2 KB
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
first pic previous post with the tape measure is the "long" body pump -GMB unit with the TR8 pulley sitting on the adapter as if bolted to it...if you flip the pulley around it is very close to where we need it for fitting...see these new pics same GMB pump with the pulley flipped around .... its the aluminum one available from the wedge shop...

Attachments:
pump 10.jpg    36.5 KB
pump 10.jpg

pump 11.jpg    33.2 KB
lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
Yesterday, I went to the SVBCC 36th annual British Car Show in Waynesboro, VA. We had 132 British cars and motorcycles. The Best in Show was a blue MGA roadster.

This morning my daughter and I watched the F1 race from Japan, Lewis Hamilton won, but he had to work for it.

Al in all, not a bad weekend.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Besides finding out I have either a bad cam or lifter, I made up some custom center caps for my Rota OS Mesh wheels. I took off the Rota emblem, and used some TR7 steering wheel emblems. Since I didn't know if the Triumph emblems would handle weather, I poured some clear urethane casting material over them. It is supposed to be UV stable.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_1022.jpg    56.3 KB
IMG_1022.jpg

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Looks great; Very clever. I’d like to see them installed on the wheels.

M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
That looks great! I decided just to ditch the original center caps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 08:49 PM by M1kem3.

Attachments:
IMG_0795.JPG    33.3 KB
IMG_0795.JPG

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here are a couple of pictures with them installed.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_1023.jpg    45.6 KB
IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg    53.1 KB
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
Darrell they look great!! like from the factory....

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Awesome looking wheel! Thanks for sharing

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Looks like Rimmer has these steering wheel badges in clearance for $5.50 ea

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1481702 by erictr6 Vance
Then how does the system react to non ethanol fuel?

The same. The O2 sensor sees the reduced O2 in the exhaust, and leans the mixture. Your fuel economy goes up, but not much else changes. If you want more power, the controller needs to be modified. I seem to recall that the Wedge Lab has an article on adding a jumper to the controller that disables the O2 sensor at wide open throttle (WOT). That allows the mixture to go rich and deliver more power. When you back off on the throttle, the O2 sensor reengages and you are again operating in the clean air/fuel economy mode. Usually this is exactly what you want.

Don't recall if the article was for the TR8, TR7, or both.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1485122 by darrellwalker Finished up my new air intake system. I hesitate to call it a cold air intake, but it should draw cooler air than the 10" round filter on top of the engine did. I also can no longer hear air whistling through the air filter when running up the engine.

I'm not 100% happy with the wrinkle paint I did. I was going for a pebbly surface, not something like a lava flow. I may look into have the plenum powder coated. It came polished, but I didn't want to go that way with it.
Darrell:

Very professional. Most driveway modifications look like home made dog food. You are a craftsman, it would seem.

The air whistling - well, people forget how many different factors the factory engineers try to optimize; durability, reliability, noise, fuel economy, comfort, safety etc. It requires a lot of thought and money to get it all right.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster