TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

erictr6 Avatar
erictr6 eric l
Denver, NC, USA   USA
Vance
Then how does the system react to non ethanol fuel?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jsotr7s Avatar
jsotr7s Jan Orlow
Anaheim, California, USA   USA
Has anyone ever put a Buick 3800 supercharged motor in a TR7 coupe?

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1482892 by jsotr7s Has anyone ever put a Buick 3800 supercharged motor in a TR7 coupe?

Go ahead and do it. Let us know how it goes. It will fit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
martin80spider Martin D
Moneta, VA, USA   USA
Today, 9/5, I reinstalled my 1980 TR7 Spider air pump, belts to air pump, alternator and hopefully with the correct tension on both. My first project was removing the fan clutch and tolerance
ring using my 3 leg bearing puller on the shaft. Don't know why this part was so tight, etc. I refit
a new tolerance ring and managed to press the clutch over the T/ring using small amount of grease
in the process. Both parts turn easily on the shaft. My questions are:
1. should there be a little or no play after the installation?
2. should the bearing in the fan clutch turn easily after installation of Tring?
a. bearing appears to be ok, no play
I would like to hear from someone who has been sucessful with this repair. Thanks.

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Are you talking about the "Viscous Coupling" on the radiator fan? Just replaced mine last year. Should be NO movement. The slightest rattle or sloppiness reverberates throughout the entire vehicle making it seem that the engine is eating itself alive!

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
In response to Jan's post about the 3800 - this is my test fit of the non-supercharged version of that engine.

Brent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 09:36 PM by sheetsofsound.

Growling-Grinnall-V8 Avatar
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Alastair Campbell
Portadown, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
Today I joined Triumphexp.com

WooHoo!

Also fitted a clock and correct reset cable. Bought on a certain well known auction site as my car has been missing these parts since 1987.

The clock even works, so far, which is a bonus.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
Today (well, this week ...)

Did the conversion on the tacho to give me correct RPM for the V6.
Got the Camaro speedo working (solid state stuff, VSS etc from the T5 gearbox). Reads nearly correct winking smiley
Replaced the hall sensor pickup coil in the dizzy.
Yep this is all GM V6 60' 2.8 fare (sorry).

Also giving some thought to the projects for this winter.
Im thinking a rear disc conversion, engine bay tidying, improving air flow and cooling, hooking the heater back up, getting a stereo in.
Might start running her in all non-wintery weather too so that'll be weather-strips, oil/wax injections and all that malarky.
A busy winter coming up!

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Finished up my new air intake system. I hesitate to call it a cold air intake, but it should draw cooler air than the 10" round filter on top of the engine did. I also can no longer hear air whistling through the air filter when running up the engine.

I'm not 100% happy with the wrinkle paint I did. I was going for a pebbly surface, not something like a lava flow. I may look into have the plenum powder coated. It came polished, but I didn't want to go that way with it.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 04:24 PM by darrellwalker.

Attachments:
IMG_0988.jpg    53.8 KB
IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg    49.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Looks good.

In reply to # 1485122 by darrellwalker Finished up my new air intake system. I hesitate to call it a cold air intake, but it should draw cooler air than the 10" round filter on top of the engine did. I also can no longer hear air whistling through the air filter when running up the engine.

I'm not 100% happy with the wrinkle paint I did. I was going for a pebbly surface, not something like a lava flow. I may look into have the plenum powder coated. It came polished, but I didn't want to go that way with it.

Helzy Avatar
Helzy Silver Member Kent Blair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1978 Triumph TR7 "Lady Di"
With about 400 miles on the engine I noticed a small drip on my garage pad. Put her on a my friends 4 post lift (wow that thing is awesome and yes I'm green with envy) tightened all the oil pan bolts they were all loose. Also noticed at the same time though and realized they cannot be tightened further that I seem to have a small seepage where the clutch slave cylinder mates with the bell housing dust shield into the clutch assembly. Any thoughts on how to eliminate that?

Here is a pic of Brent's 4 post lift

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 10:16 AM by Helzy.

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
Oh no, I hope it's not the rear main seal.
But to answer your question. To get rid of all oil leaks, drain the oil out. LOL

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Hello Kent
Don't know which I like better , your car or Brent's lift. They both look great. I currently have a two post Bear lift and it's such a pain in the butt to position the arms every time you want to lift the car. I'm really considering switching over to a four post lift.. What's your opinion of access once the car is up? thanks, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I love my four post. The coolest feature on mine is the detachable wheels. Install the wheels in a matter of a few minutes, no tools required, and I can roll it from one side of the garage to the other. The metal lifting tray comes in handy. My only regret was not narrowing the thing before I put it together. One of these days, I'll take it apart again and cut 6" out of the crossbars and then weld them back together. As it sits, the inside edges of the TR8s wheels just touch the inside edge of the longitudinal rails the car sits on. Once the car is centered, there is still a foot of rail on the outside of the tires. I bought mine up in Canton from a guy named Gary Bloom. If you want one, you can borrow my trailer and go pick one up like I did. Assembly takes at least two really strong guys. Wish I had three or four when I built mine. The day I picked mine up, there was a truck picking up 10 of the same lift for a car collector in Attleboro.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Hello Todd
You kind of confirmed what I've been thinking. And thank you for the trailer offer. I really hate to give up the Bear. It has a 9k capacity and works well for the F250. Can I really justify a second lift? It would make winter parking easier though. Triumph up and Fiat below. You know I'm just talking myself into it ,right? While I have your attention, do you have any knowledge on changing the speedo drive on a GM th 700 r4? Mine is off by a pretty good percentage and I'm kind of tired of using the gps all the time. Did some online research and it doesn't appear all that hard if your only changing the driven and not the driver. Also do we have anybody local that actually makes speedometer cables? I need TR8 on one end and GM on the other. First one I cobbled together worked but didn't last long(sat on the header and melted) Would like to have one made up that doesn't look home made. Opinion please, thanks ,Jim ( And please don't tell me to dump the automatic!)

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster