TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Silver Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
A great Father's Day.

I got a new tee shirt that says, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a Triumph TR7 and that's almost the same thing."

I also got an aluminum performance radiator from Wizard Cooling.

That and dinner with my kids; all in all, not a bad day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
pic?

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
Today I went in my TR7 to have a look at a Fiero.
Here beginneth the rant:

So a Fiero isn't a TR7 but they are kinda neat and for 1000$ CAD I thought why not go look.
Well obviously it was a nail but thats not whats got on my nerves. It was the attitude of the seller.

The old goat says: "If I don't get 1000$ for it, I'll take it to the crusher"
Me: "There's a lot of room between $1000 and $100 at the scrapyard mate, why not meet me halfway"
Him: "No way. I know what I want for it and if I dont get it I'll stand there and make sure its crushed"

Right there is the attitude that we as enthusiasts are up against.
At 400$ it _might_ have been worth the blood sweat and tears but at 1000$ - no way.

On the bright side a local young lad has been tooling round town in a Liverpool fixed-head TR7.
He went past me in it with a smile that went from one ear to the other. Good to see.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1465237 by carltr7
So a Fiero isn't a TR7 but they are kinda neat and for 1000$ CAD I thought why not go look.
Well obviously it was a nail but thats not whats got on my nerves. It was the attitude of the seller.

Carl -

What is a nail (besides a metal pin)?

Had a Fiero years ago. Had fun with it, but didn't keep it too long. I think the V6 version would have been a keeper, but the 4 cylinder was only fair.

Cammed it, raised the compression, rear sway bar, put a header on it. Turned into an OK little sports car.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
Decided I hated the JL Audio MBT-CRX i had been using as a HU. Swapped it for the JL Audio MBT-RX and an Audiocontrol Overdrive Plus and ACR-1.

I have AEM's new 52mm GPS speedo on order to fill the hole.

1980 TR8
2006 XC90 V8
2008 328xi
2011 XC60 T6 RD

kevphill Kevin Phillips
Oxford, Michigan, USA   USA
Today I button up the last little bit of the engine.

Attachments:
IMG_2636.JPG    52.9 KB
IMG_2636.JPG

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Silver Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
Nice rebuild.

sheppjr Richard Sheppard
Huntsville, Alabama, USA   USA
Repaired the AC system on my 78 TR7 FHC. The system had been dormant for over 5 years. The repair consisted of installing a rebuilt R209R York compressor, new AC clutch bearing, new high pressure hose from compressor to condenser,new drier, new expansion valve and 2 lbs, 8 oz of R12 freon. The condensor fans are working and so is the throttle jack. The AC system is now blowing 36 degF air and you can't keep the Air lever on MAX for long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 01:06 PM by sheppjr.

Sprites and Spirits Avatar
Sprites and Spirits Ed Forrest
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Interesting Discussion:

Scott Holton in Marietta, GA developed a TR-7 Coupe in SCCA IT-B. It was a very successful car, winning a season championship (or two) out of Atlanta-Region.

He was kind enough to let me "borrow" the car for a few events...and it was quite the ride. Handled nicely and 'fast enough' to beat up on an occasional BWM or Volvo.
----------------------------

He then retired the TR-7 and worked with a fellow to develop a 6 Cylinder Fiero which ran in IT-A. I also "went American" and started work on an AMC-Spirit. We enjoyed many wonderful weekends competing in the cars...as he developed the Fiero into a formidable machine. I think that a "decent time" for IT-A was, maybe 1:47-ish at Road Atlanta. If you have ever raced, you know that one's "time" is not unlike your buddies story about a Large Mouth Bass. I know we both got the Fiero and the Spirit into the low 1:50-ish ranges.

The TR-7 and the Fiero were both "The Shape of Things to Come" and it really was a joy to make both American cars perform with the Mazda and Honda (IT-A) but they ever were as competitive as Scott had the TR-7 in IT-B.

He says he is still working on the car...mine is waiting to be tuned into a Rat Rod to intimidate no one but enjoy the shock and awe.

TR-7 and Fiero...a nice comparison.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Fixed my parking brake. It has always been soft since the day I reassembled the TR8. It worked, but felt soft when I pulled up on the handle - like it was not connected to much of anything.

Got under the care, and adjusted all the slack out of the cable. Works great now. A little thing I know, but it is the little annoyances that add up and keep you from enjoying the car.

Still have an occasional miss. Ordered new plug wires, even though the current plug wires have less than 500 miles on them. I have tweaked everything to within an inch of it's life. Mixture, timing, electrical connections, reseated the plug wires, blah, blah, blah. Still misses once about every third outing. The rest of the time the motor is awesome, good idle, lots of torque, revs freely, just the right amount of snarl, responsive. Not a complaint to be found. But I have this miss...

The only thing I can think of is an Oldsmobile I had many years ago, it would miss once going uphill if pressed down on the accelerator. I have noticed that the miss on the TR8 occurs under light acceleration. In the case of the Olds, new plug wires fixed it right up. But those plug wires had 85,000 miles on them. The TR8, well, they are all but new. Still the symptoms match, so what the heck. When the new plug wires get installed I will report back.

Cheers,

Vance <pop> eye popping smiley

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Last one I had like that, I found one of the plug wires was arcing out at the cap. Saw it when I lifted the hood when it was dark in the garage. Try going outside tonight and start it up in the dark and have a look around.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
Fitted and road tested the Mini Cooper + Accord brakes.
Seem to work pretty good considering no brake servo.
Definitely better than before.
Ive since worn the black coating off and the rotors look pretty sporty.

Also added a rudimentary heat shield to stop the exhaust downpipe cooking the start solenoid on the GM V6.

Also added a vent at the highest point on the cooling system so I could fill it and tightened down the inlet manifold for reasons you can probably guess lol.

Attachments:
20170624_162542.jpg    30.8 KB
20170624_162542.jpg

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
In reply to # 1465437 by Darth V8R
Carl -

What is a nail (besides a metal pin)?

Cheers,

Vance

In the UK we have various words for hopelessly bad cars.
On is "Lemon" which I think everyone's heard of.
Another is "Nail" implying a dead useless piece of iron thats only good for hitting with a hammer.
Other terms for rubbish cars are:

"Shed", "BasketCase" and "Jaguar XJ6"

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
Today I got the horn.

Two horns to be precise.
I finally grafted in the Buick hi/lo tone horns from the car my son put into the d... oh well thats another story.
Pretty loud now! Out of the way ricers!

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Went to a great car show today at the Endicott Estate in Dedham Ma. It was staged by the Bay State Antique Auto Club. This was their 46th year putting on the event and it just keeps getting better! This year they even supplied near perfect weather. Low 80's, gentle breeze and I got to park in the shade My TR8 ran about as good as it has all the way up Rt 95, about 50 miles. The new 4spd automatic really makes it nice on the highway but the overdrive makes it tough to stay within the posted speed limit, that car just wants to run! At the show I couldn't believe how much interest there was in my little car. I no sooner parked and a gentleman with an Aston Martin polo shirt was asking me all sorts of questions about it. Turns out this guy was the judge for my category later in the day. A lesson here " Be sociable to every body, you never know when you're going to meet them again" Ran into Woody Cooper and his friend Milt, and Woody explained why I had a nasty squeak in my steering column and how to fix it. Thanks Woody. Also a shout out to Jeff ( he says he is on this site all the time, hope he reads this) Still working on his TR8 hope he gets it on the road soon. Made a good contact about sourcing genuine red tartan cloth upholstery for the interior, hope it pans out. Lots of people curious about the Buick motor, It's a Rover dammit! Must have explained a dozen times the difference, as I understand it .It was nice to talk to a lot of people who have owned triumphs in the past, quite a few former TR7 owners, Spitfires seem to be quite popular also. Had this gentleman Paul parked next to me with a Mazda Miata. Please don't laugh he was a great guy. On his Miata he had removed the fixed glass "vent" window much like ours are and installed a functioning vent window prototype. Something that those of use without air might be interested in. He says it was made up by a company called "carbon miata" the website might be worth checking out. I did take pictures and will try to post them later if anybody has any interest Didn't win any prizes, didn't expect any , my car is made to be driven and I thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely drive home on the back roads of New England. Sunroof open , wind in my hair (yeah, so it's thinning) and the great purr of the motor in my ears. Man I wish this was a typical day! Cheers, Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster