TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on twisty back roads?

What did YOU do with your TR7 or TR8 today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
mrkenmgb Avatar
mrkenmgb Ken DeLEEUW
Ormond Beach, Florida, USA   USA
1996 MG MGF "Green Machine"
Today I installed a fog light switch, found the correct wires and hooked up the system, so it works as it should. Still finishing the rear brakes and replacing the axel seals and packing the bearings. Also put on the spin-on oil filter adapter, no more messy canister for me. Hopefully... tomorrow I test drive the 5 speed conversion.
Ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
I loosened the dist and turned it until the engine ran better and not lining it up with the timing mark. It now runs better than its has ever run.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
That's kind of odd. Rotor in good condition? Do these distributors have vacuum advance?

Skye

In reply to # 933338 by 18593210 I loosened the dist and turned it until the engine ran better and not lining it up with the timing mark. It now runs better than its has ever run.

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
dgregg65 Don Gregg
Rootstown, Ohio, USA   USA
Today I purchased a new starter relay, the one behind the panel in the glove box, so that the TR7 will now crank over. Now to just replace that leaky rear brake cylinder.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Silver Bullet"
In reply to # 933339 by Skye That's kind of odd. Rotor in good condition? Do these distributors have vacuum advance?

Skye

In reply to # 933338 by 18593210 I loosened the dist and turned it until the engine ran better and not lining it up with the timing mark. It now runs better than its has ever run.

I am guessing the car has a vacuum retard, and that retard is not operational. This results in severely retarded timing if you follow the shop manual procedure for setting the timing. I am betting that Wilbur now has the ignition set much closer to where it should have been all along, hence the improved performance.

I tell people to disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor and set the timing to 10 BTDC. This will always give you the correct timing, even if the vacuum retard capsule is fried.

Vance

18593210 Avatar
Austin, TX, USA   USA
New rotor, dist cap. wires and Lumition cutter. AF meter adjusted and set with gizzmo. It could be 10' off from TDC and it really made a big difference in performance. I think its running cooler also. More time on the road coming.

MarkSF Mark H
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
Listed mine for sale in the registry! Has to go to make way for a Land Rover.

mike6279 Avatar
mike6279 Michael S
Hubert, NC, USA   USA
Today i continued re assembling my 1979 TR7 motor. I had the engine bored .040 over and changed the 8:1 pistons to the 9.25:1 pistons.. had the head reworked and installed new valves and seals.. Im not putting the emissions back on as i don't need to get it inspected. The charcoal canister is broken and the smog pump is frozen. I don't know if the egr valve still works so it will not go back on either. My car has a/c but it is not going back on either. I am completely going through the car. I have been working in the engine cavity and have removed all the rust from it, need to finish removing the unneeded parts in the engine compartment.. I have all new bushing for the complete car suspension and new motor mounts and brakes. I still need to replace all the break lines and fuel lines from the tank. This week i will be send my carbs to Joe in Ny for complete polish and rebuild and the distributor is going to go to advanced Distributor in Mn .. Figured its out why not bring them to as new as possible. Everything else in the car is new.. Its an ongoing project.

Has anybody else removed all the emissions and if so did you run into any problems .. Any information will be a big help..

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Silver Bullet"
In reply to # 939045 by mike6279
Has anybody else removed all the emissions and if so did you run into any problems .. Any information will be a big help..

Mike:

Removing the EGR valve will slightly reduce your highway fuel economy, and will not gain you anything in performance. If it is operational, I recommend leaving it in place.

While you have the engine apart, I also recommend porting your heads. Its easy to do, and it will get you a big pop in power, without costing you anything in terms of drivability, idle, or emissions. Here are some instructions: DIY porting

Vance

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
Have the carbs and linkage about 90% removed. Then on to a pro for rebuilds….No blood yet….thumbs up

18593210 Avatar
Austin, TX, USA   USA
Changed the rear springs and replaced them with VB heavy duty pair. Easy job.

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, California, USA   USA
Replaced the fuel filler neck hose and the breather hoses. Found out the filler neck restricter was was loose and dropped it off at the welders. Pick it up in the morning and one more job done. Also glued in some new carpet.

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
Got the carbs off…a real SOB….the last nut would not come loose…had to take the linkage apart then remove the front carb to get a better angle on the nut….lots of WD 40 and voila….they are off to be rebuilt but not so sure if i can re install and tune…my buddy who is rebuilding them and is on the MG exp. side here said he would come up from Tucson and help me do it…God Bless him…lol

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
The filler neck is a two piece deal that is joined together with low temp lead solder. You can heat them up with the plumbers torch and pull them apart, then simply remove the loose restrictor and put it back together. Just need to mark both sides so they go back together with the exact same orientation. Whole process takes about 10 minutes, but then again, I'm a plumber.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster