Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bluetr3tr8 Avatar
bluetr3tr8 scott white
chicago, USA   USA
I just acquired a set of 15x7" rims that will fit my TR8. I was wondering what size tires will fit a TR8. I'd like to get raised white letter tires, but the only size I can find the white letters in is a 215/65/15, will those fit a TR8 without rubbing and any modifications. I also have a nice set of 225/50/15 blackwall tires that I'd consider using if they would fit. I will not do any modifications on the car, so what is are the 15" tire sizes that will fit the TR8. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cheapsnake Avatar
Cheapsnake Tom Soik
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA   USA
I've got 225 60's on 14" Panasports and they rub the front wheel wells on hard-overs and the rear wheels rub on bumps with a passenger on board. I rolled the lips, which helped, but my guess is you'd have to do a bit more rolling (or worse) with 15" rims. BTW, I lowered the body by about 1", which didn't help.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 922238 by bluetr3tr8 I just acquired a set of 15x7" rims that will fit my TR8. I was wondering what size tires will fit a TR8. I'd like to get raised white letter tires, but the only size I can find the white letters in is a 215/65/15, will those fit a TR8 without rubbing and any modifications. I also have a nice set of 225/50/15 blackwall tires that I'd consider using if they would fit. I will not do any modifications on the car, so what is are the 15" tire sizes that will fit the TR8. Thanks

According to what I have read, anything beyond 195 section width has a high probability of rubbing unless the sheet metal is massaged.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Most people go with 205/50/15. The overall circumference of this size tire is the same as the stock 185/70/13, so your speedometer will reads as it did before changing rims/tires. Most cars will get away without any mods to the fender lips. TR7s and TR8s were put together piece by piece, so there are variations. On some cars the inner fender lip sticks out towards the tire more than others. If your car has a clearance issue, in most cases, all you have to do is trim the excess inner fender that sticks out. Whenever I paint a wedge, I roll the fenders in and then pound them out as far as I can. This allows 225 series tires with no problem. If you get real aggressive, you can get 245 series tires under there. This car is rolling 16X8 rims with 225s on the back and 205s on the front. Plenty of room in the back to go bigger.

Attachments:
DSC02926.JPG    49.2 KB
DSC02926.JPG

DSC03038.JPG    43 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bluetr3tr8 Avatar
bluetr3tr8 scott white
chicago, USA   USA
Thanks for the information, I have not been able to find raised white letter tires in a 195/60/15 or a 205/50/15, so I think I will just go with a blackwall 195/60/15 to be safe. I really do not want to have to roll the fenders, considering I don't even know whats involved with rolling them, I'm guessing it would require some special tools, that I don't have.
Todd, Your car looks great, but as you mentioned, your fenders are modified. Do most 205/50/15 fit with no problems, I kind of, would like to have a little wider tire, if possible. thanks

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In most cases, the 205/50R15 fit fine, but as Todd mentioned, these cars are not all "identical" in build alignment quality....

If you do not lower the vehicle too much, that also should help.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Don't forget this is taking into consideration that you get the right offset on the rims. Correct offset is +25mm. Anything more than 25 and the rim may touch the strut. Anything less than 25 and the rim may touch the fender lip.

trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
205/50/15's on 15x7 rims, +25 offset. Haven't altered the fenders and no rubbing. It is very close on the right side though. On my car the wheel on the right sits 3/4" more outward than the left. This is a common occurrence on TR7's. I've checked a few and they all have been off by at least 1/2". Not really noticeable with stock wheels but you can't miss it with a wider wheel. I plan on having them rolled just to be safe but no problem so far.
Just call around to the local Japanese car customizers and see if they have a rolling tool. I was quoted $25 per fender, just haven't gotten around to it.

navydiver Rob Cornick
san diego, california, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR7 "The Pumpkin"
1977 Triumph TR7
1978 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR7 "The Plum"    & more
I have 205x40x17s on my 8 that don't rub, they do have the correct offset. They came off an MGF.

1975 TR7 FHC Ca Spec ACL 4spd
1976 TR7 FHC Ca Spec 4 spd (Temp add)
1977 TR7 FHC ACW 5Spd
1978 TR8 DHC ACT FI development car 5 Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd
1981 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd

1980tr7sprint Bill G
Nanaimo, BC, Canada   CAN
Will 225 x 50 x 15 fit with rolled back fenders?

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Yes. I run 225s on both race cars, and the race tread is more like what you would find on a 245 street tire. You can fit 245 on the rear no problem and 225 on the front with rolled fenders. My green car has 225 on the rear, and I know of a couple of street cars running 245. But, offset is the key. Go to an 8" rim and now you need 0 offset on the fronts. All of the extra wheel needs to go towards the outside. The tire is already smack up against the strut tube, so you can't go anymore inboard(without spacers). Rear is a little more forgiving, so to go wider you really need to measure and calculate. 225s are kind of overkill and will actually hurt your everyday performance because of the increased rolling resistance. The only reason to go that wide on a 2400# car is if you are using it for a motorsports application. I can see 225 for autocross events, drag racing, or shorter course road racing. I found on long course road racing, the 205s worked better. But then again, most wedge owners install all kinds of things they don't really need on their cars, but it looks cool. Speaking of things most people want but don't need, I'm been asked to do another run of front brake kits. Another local guy who had one of the wedge shop kits shatter a rotor wants the one Lorenze and I developed for his car. If anybody is interested in duplicating it, I can list all of the Wilwood part numbers you need and provide contact for the machinist who makes the caliper brackets. In the end, it works out a couple of hundred less than the wedge shop kit, its lighter, and because it uses Wilwood aluminum hats, 11.75" rotors, and Dynalite calipers, you can buy those parts yourself. The one drawback is that the rotors slip on over the hubs instead of bolting to the back, so it pushes the wheels out 1/4". If you already have clearance concerns, then this will not help. Most people running this setup change the bolt pattern to 4X100 and buy used Miata wheels with a higher offset.

vintage1961 Avatar
vintage1961 Tom Carroll
Phoenix, MD - Maryland, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Roadster"
1979 Triumph TR7 "TR7 3.8L"
Where did you get your front spoiler?
Thanks

diver Richard Crothers
NorthEast, Maryland, USA   USA
Read an article about wheels that may fit TR7/8. It mentioned MGF & MG TF rims as fitting with correct PCD but having ET28 in the 15' &16" size more for 17", however the Center Bore was 56.6 not same as TR7/8 with ET25 and CB 57.1
Is It possible to use a 3mm flanged spacer? INPUT on this?

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Pretty sure the MG rim is only 6 or 6.5" wide. Getting the offset perfectly at +25 is only critical if you go with a 5" rim. A 6.5" rim gives you 12.5mm of play so thats 6mm per side. You will be fine with a +28.

Growling-Grinnall-V8 Avatar
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Alastair Campbell
Portadown, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
Lowered UK model fitted with late 90s MGF VVC 6J by 15" rims and 205/50/15 tyres.

Yes they do fit, ok, but the paint on the inside of the centre need to be scraped off to allow an easier fit to locate.

Attachments:
123.JPG    26.3 KB
123.JPG

130.JPG    29.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster