AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
Which is better and more reliable in the long run. Anyone had both? Anyone had an 81 TR8 with Fuel injection problems? I'm still undecided which way to go. Very nice like new 1981 fuel injection TR8 or restored well maintained 1980 TR8. Big difference in selling price between these two cars. I want something to show in local car shows and drive to meetings and shows. Plan on insuring and licensing as antique car. All suggestions and opinions welcome. thank you for your replys.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I guess it comes down to the price difference and color of the two cars... The FI does have its issues, but join the Wedge club or TR8 club (not sure which it is) and they know the bugs about them. The carbs are like any carbs, they have issues too, but can be fixed. Kyle

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
It comes down to what performance level you want out of the car. If you want bone stock, then go with a FI and hope it doesn't have issues. If you want more than the stock performance, then go with a carb. My advice is stay away from low mileage cars unless you just want to haul it around to car shows on a trailer. Stay away from cars being sold by classic car dealers. Buy a TR8 from someone who knows and appreciates the car. Buy one that gets driven hard on a regular basis. If you are looking for Miata like reliability, then go with one thats been modified with a four barrel carb. There is a good reason most of the TR8s you see have different ignitions cams, headers, and carbs than what came from the factory. Not only were the stock components difficult to work on, troublesome and cluttered the heck out of the engine bay, but they also robbed the engine of many ponies. Do the above mentioned mods, and you will see way more drivability, better fuel mileage, and way less problems. If you look at the grey car I have for sale in the readers rides section, you will get a good idea of what I'm talking about. I made that car as close to idiot proof as possible. I built it for my 70 year old dad that lives over an hour away. I didn't want to have to go down there every other weekend to figure out why it wasn't working properly or at all. In the past he has had a TR7, and a Rover SD1 that I was responsible for maintaining. First thing I did to the Rover was remove the FI and install a four barrel. I noticed you have a V6 MGB. The difference between a stock TR8 and a modified one is similar in performance to going from a stock MGB to a V6 MGB.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cheapsnake Avatar
Cheapsnake Tom Soik
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA   USA
From a performance and reliability standpoint, it's carb, hands down. Once again, it goes back to the question of originality and how important is it to you. If you're dead set on originality and can put up with a so-so performing car with an occasional quirk (that no local mechanic can diagnose), then stick with the FI. If you want a bit of snap in your drive and a fuel delivery system that even us dummies can figure out then carb is the way to go.

As for car shows, unless you're entering concours competition, nobody is going to know or care less if it's carbed or FI. Actually, it's kinda fun to watch people walk up to the car expecting to find a cute little 4-banger and they find a cute little V8 nestled in there. For them, carb vs. FI is a non-issue.

Tom

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Sounds like you boys just don't like the injected cars smiling smiley

You're hurting my wife's feelin's smiling smiley

Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH
2nd to last TR8 Autobox off the line, injected, non-a/c car in cashmere

And soon to be on the road!!

Cheapsnake Avatar
Cheapsnake Tom Soik
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 869281 by gozto11 Sounds like you boys just don't like the injected cars smiling smiley

You're hurting my wife's feelin's smiling smiley

Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH
2nd to last TR8 Autobox off the line, injected, non-a/c car in cashmere

And soon to be on the road!!

With apologies to your wife, I love all TR8's and if I had a shot at a decent 8 with FI I'd be all over it. Good luck getting back on the road.

Tom

18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
A TR8 auto thats what I'm talking about. I there is a TR8 automatic for sale at the wedge shop for $6,500 thats a hell of a deal. Hell I'm older than your Dad and still buring gas. My last thought when I'm in my death bed will be about my family followed close by thoughts of the cars I've owned in my life. It is great of you to give your Dad something to enjoy I always said we should honor your parents while they are alive not after they are gone. I think If the deal with the littledoggarage's TR8 does not happen TODD you and I will be talking about your TR8. shame that you are so far away from Texas that I can't see your TR8. but thank you for the info and your opinion which I believe to be true. Jay Cook

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
FWIW the wedge shop is only 15 miles from my house and that grey TR7 with a V8 and an automatic was purchased off craigslist here a couple of summers ago. I looked at it and passed when the lady selling it wanted $3500. The transmission that is in that car originally came out of a TR8 coupe I had. Small world when it comes to TR8s and TR7s with a V8. Before you think about dealing with the wedge shop, you might want to read this article. http://www.mossmotoring.com/restoration-disaster-learn-from-my-experience/ As far as the auto tranny goes, it's not very exhilarating, but it works well because it's just a simple Borg Warner 3 speed. My car is going on ebay as soon as I get around to writing an add. Biggest problem is remembering everything I did to the car since it was last on the road. Keep looking, I'm sure you will find something close to where you live that you can go look at. This is the worst time of the year to try and find a sports car. Another couple of months and there should be more around for sale. Best time to buy one is latter in the summer.

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I too have had and witnessed various dealings, sales, and repairs concerning the Wedge Shop and would highly recommend against you having any yourself. Just a caution. There are various posting on this forum concerning that shop, you should do a search on your own.

I also looked at that TR7 conversion, and considered the $3,500 too much coin for a TR7 conversion. A nice job done by a local body shop, but not a TR8 if you understand what I mean. More of a hot rod conversion, not what anyone would really want if they were shopping for a TR8.

I suspect that's the reason that the Wedge Shop price is where it is; WAY high for a TR7 (double their "buy in",) and low for a TR8. BIG problem being that it simply ISN'T a TR8, which goes to the heart of it. NEVER believe anyone if they say that, "It's essentially a TR8 with all of the bugs worked out." It ISN'T ! ! It's a collection of parts with the value of a conversion. There's NOTHING like an original TR8. Rare and cool and unique and NOT a TR7 with a V8 planted in the engine bay.

None of the truly unique and valuable TR8 parts are still there. Knowing The Wedge Shop, I would imagine that the unobtainable original TR8 alternator bracket has been replaced with a custom "Wedge Shop" substitute and probably looks very nice in position. The original already sold and off to someone restoring a real TR8. TR8 battery box no doubt missing, the original wiring harness never there, radiator non-TR8, fuel tank, 3:08 rear end, and on and on. All of the parts and pieces that would be original and charming and valuable are no longer there/never there/substituted with trash aftermarket.

Since you are SO much after a TR8, and are even concerned with the carb vs injection issues, I'd REALLY recommend finding a nice car to the West of you rather than even considering a Bastard TR7 in the North East rust belt. If you must look to the East, make VERY sure that it's a car that's been done over, top to bottom and inside the seams ! ! !

A genuine TR8 is just SO charming and really very British where it counts, and a worthy successor to the TR6 in all ways, don't settle for crap.

Luck,

TC

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Back to the original questions, I have "both", a 79 TR8 Coupe with over 124,000 miles, and a low-mileage 81 convertible with EFI. Both are still running the fuel system they came with, so yes the Coupe has Stromberg carbs that still work just fine. The EFI convertible was stored for many years so had issues of rusty gas tank, dried up suspension (and fuel) rubber components etc.

I like both cars, and have not disposed of the Coupe as was my original intention after getting the 81 convertible. The Coupe has had much suspension updates over the years, while the convertible is bone-stock. I like both interpretations I had to keep both!

So, whatever you decide, it has to be what you want to own and drive.

David

roverend Kent Kinard
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
You should add another item to TC's list of unique TR8 equipment that transforms the car: power steering. Rare indeed is the conversion that includes power steering.

I have owned four TR8's, thirteen SD1's, and countless TR7's including a conversion I did myself. If I were to name the items that make the most difference, it would be the power steering and the 3.08:1 rear end.

My current project is a 1980 TR8 Coupe TCN160116UCF. Since I intend to drive it regularly, it will have a 4V carb.

Kent K.
San Antonio, TX

staghunter Avatar
staghunter Wayne Simpson
Brick, New Jersey, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 "Colonel Mustard"
There is no reason to fear the TR8's fuel injection system. It works well and gives you a car with great driveability and surprising economy. In 2010, I had the opportunity to borrow an EFI car to attend the VTR National in Breckenridge, CO. Even at 12,000 feet, where other Triumphs were wheezing in the thin air and refusing to start, our EFI TR8s started right up and ran flawlessly. The TWOA has one of the best people in the world on this particular system in Jim Ten Cate, and we have been developing tools for rental to help members tune and diagnose any issues with the EFI system. Jim has, for many years, provided an ECU repair service free of charge to TWOA members and has probably repaired more than 100 ECUs over the years.

Likewise, the Strombergs are well understood and should present no problems to anyone willing to learn how to rebuild and tune them with quality spare parts. TWOA can help with this, too.

Wayne Simpson
Vice Pres, Triumph Wedge Owners Assn (TWOA)
www.triumphwedgeowners.org

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a 1982 Triumoh TR8 with fuel injection. About 10 years ago my ecu failed. After much research I found a company in England thatb bought all the components from Furanti Marconi when they closed down. These are the components Lucas used to build the ecu. Sent my ecu to them. Approc $400 to repair. Put it in my car
No problems since. Keep it Fi if you can. They are rare and more desirable.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 869385 by dhuddleson Back to the original questions, I have "both", a 79 TR8 Coupe with over 124,000 miles, and a low-mileage 81 convertible with EFI. Both are still running the fuel system they came with, so yes the Coupe has Stromberg carbs that still work just fine. The EFI convertible was stored for many years so had issues of rusty gas tank, dried up suspension (and fuel) rubber components etc.

I like both cars, and have not disposed of the Coupe as was my original intention after getting the 81 convertible. The Coupe has had much suspension updates over the years, while the convertible is bone-stock. I like both interpretations I had to keep both!

So, whatever you decide, it has to be what you want to own and drive.

David

The FI will be more drivable, easier to cold start, etc. But it has limited performance tuning capability and parts are difficult to source.

The carbs have much better parts availability, and have more tuning possibilities.

Out of the box, the power is nearly identical.

Which is "best" depends on your priorities.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
I would recommend the HSR42 carbs

opps... these prob wouldnt fit an 8 very well....

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 06:09 PM by 1147cc.

Attachments:
IMG_20150424_200614469.jpg    53 KB
IMG_20150424_200614469.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links