Tr8 rear axle?

Posted by Cartoon6pk 
Cartoon6pk Avatar
Sheldon Weaver
Martinsburg, Pa, USA   usa
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Kermit"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The 7" ~ For Sale ! ~
1980 Triumph TR8

Could anyone tell me if the TR8 comes with a sure grip rear end or is it a single track?
Thank you
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
wedgeworks Avatar
Mike P
Ellicott City, Maryland, USA   usa

It is a single track, unless a quiafe LSD was added when new or later. That's the only true drop in LSD unit available.
TR8todd Avatar
Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   usa

Most people swap in a modified Ford or Dana limited slip rear end. That way you get the limited slip and rear disc brakes.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Cartoon6pk Avatar
Sheldon Weaver
Martinsburg, Pa, USA   usa
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Kermit"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The 7" ~ For Sale ! ~
1980 Triumph TR8

Thanks for the info. The TR8 was picked up today in Michigan. I should get it on Thursday. I can't wait.
Thanks again
Sheldon
barry n
albuquerque, new mexico, USA   usa

Which mod is lighter, Ford or Dana?
TR8todd Avatar
Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   usa

Don't know about the weight on the Dana, but stock is #130ish. I can weigh one exactly later. Ford 7.5 is less than 10 pounds heavier. Car based 8.8 is less than 20#heavier, and truck based is less than 30# heavier. Things get even closer when you switch to rear discs, more so with Willwood rear disc setups.
barry n

That is just a little more weight for big upgrade in performance. Thanx Todd.
TeamEvil Avatar
T C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   usa

The Dana 44 that would fit under a TR7/8 is MUCH heavier than stock, coming from a Postal Jeep, it's built to last, massive drums, huge pumpkin, Ford lug pattern, nice gearing and LSD. We all just put one under an old Hillman and got pretty familiar with it in the process.
wedgeworks Avatar
Mike P
Ellicott City, Maryland, USA   usa

The Dana 44 from a 1970ies International scout is as close outside drum to drum as the TR7/8 with about 1/4-inch difference. They are not that expensive and can be changed to disc brakes and any lug pattern. You can also pick your gears and LSD or Posi Units. They are heavy. I would put the Dana and the Ford 8.8 close to each other for weight.
barry n

I saw no mention of any GM rear axles. Did a search and GM rear axles come in a 7.6", 8.0" and 8.6"-all 10 bolt. I assume any of these would work, but as Wedgeworks mentioned finding one , like the Dana that is sized close is a big consideration in selection or some machine work to get it to fit [higher cost] would be needed? Yes?
I am not a big GM fan, just thought for discussion to ask because of large parts availability in yards.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8