Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nochance98 Avatar
nochance98 Mark Palmer
Halifax, NS, Canada   CAN
A little bodywork and some new tires - Good as new!

Kinda like a barn-find.... It looks like it's been sitting there since 1985!

1980 TR7 V8 - 27 years, 1977 Victory Edition TR7 EV - 10 years, 1980 TR7 - 2 years

18kperhr Joel B
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi All,
At 4:50 in the AM my recall ain't what it should be, but isn't a 1980 TR8 coupe something of a rarity? If I remember right a few TR8 coupes were brought to the US for testing purposes in the late 70s and then disposed of and that the TR8s actually for sale to the public were all convertibles. This supposes that this sad 8 (sa8?) is factory as opposed to a TR7/8. Just a thought and maybe a hope for the "saddest TR8 you've ever seen". Best Regards, Joel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I like the line:

Quote: THE CAR IS USED AND HAS SIGN OF USE.

Ya think?

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

rbaron Avatar
rbaron Roger Baron
Fort Mill, SC, USA   USA
So currently, they will pay you $300 to haul it away?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Lads:

The year is probably just a guess on the sellers part, as I doubt there is a title to be had for the car.

For $300 it is a parts car, and you would probably want to totally re-shell the car. I am guessing the K-frame is scrap too.

$300 gets you the VIN, which means you would have a "real" TR8 coupe when you were done. Use a good TR7 shell, and you are in business.

Rich, you are the master of understatement. To call it "sad" certainly fails to convey the ongoing tragedy of that particular car. sad smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

triumph74tr6 Avatar
triumph74tr6 Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Sports 6 "Speed 6"
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gene"
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Ken"
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"    & more
If I was near Sarasota I would be bidding on it for sure!

rbaron Avatar
rbaron Roger Baron
Fort Mill, SC, USA   USA
Pretty sure it's not a 1980. Speedometer shows 130MPH. My '80 has the US required 85MPH speedo.

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Now that would be a project. eye popping smiley

Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
The car is worthless. FL is a title state, no title, no transfer. A notarized bill of sale is meaningless. It does not prove ownership, it merely proves the guys signing his name on a paper is the guy standing in front of the notary. That's a totally stupid statement to make, "THE CAR WILL ONLY COME WITH A NOTARIZED BILL OF SALE". I take scammer away from this ad, I doubt he's the legal owner. (Even to take a car to scrap yard in FL, you need to have the title or they won't take it.) The way I see he is stuck with it unless he can push it off on some unsuspecting buyer. Unless you live in a non title state and he has a registration document with his name on it to transfer ownership, the VIN numbers are worthless. You might be able to secure a bonded title, but, I really doubt it. Maybe you could lie thru an abandonment title process, but, that's illegal. But with enough money and a crooked DMV agent, well,, I guess anything is possible.

The funny thing about this car........steel TR7 wheels do not fit on a TR8, yet on that car the wheels seem to fit fine......... Also, he's selling a car and will not provide the VIN number to a potential buyer. There's a couple of other things that don't look right, but, cell phone pictures are hard to be sure. No shipping company would move that car. But, even if you could work out the title issue, you still have a $12,000 to $15,000 project for a car that's worth $7500 in really nice shape. I just do not see any way to justify $300 for that car. Hell, I see a couple of days work just to get the crap off it to tow on an open trailer. IF some one wants a TR8 project car, I got one and it will come with a title and no rust.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Many if not all of the TCN16XXXX cars were sold as 1980s. If it had a clean title, that piece of paper and Vin tags would be worth $1000. With no documentation and just tags, its still worth $500 all day long. There are more people looking to build TR8 coupe race cars with real numbers than there are TR8 coupes for sale. Whatever parts you could salvage are just gravy. A car is worth what someone will pay for it. If it were local, I wouldn't bat an eye at throwing him 600 to 700 for it. Not every car needs to be restored to have value. Sometimes a car can make the most profit before you throw addition money at it.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Well, the luggage rack looks really nice.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1513240 by Mr. Nuts
The funny thing about this car........steel TR7 wheels do not fit on a TR8, yet on that car the wheels seem to fit fine.........

I thought the TR8 coupes were TR7 cars taken off the assembly line and retrofitted with the TR8 drivetrain. If that is indeed the case, then TR7 steel wheels would fit, yes?

Later TR7s (at least) accepted the same alloy wheels that came on the TR8, so I guess I don't understand why TR7 steel wheels would not fit a TR8, no matter when it was made.

I know the 4 speed TR7s had a different rear axle, but when the TR7 began to get the 5 speed they still got steel wheels, depending on the trim package.

What am I missing? confused smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1513360 by Darth V8R I thought the TR8 coupes were TR7 cars taken off the assembly line and retrofitted with the TR8 drivetrain. If that is indeed the case, then TR7 steel wheels would fit, yes?

Later TR7s (at least) accepted the same alloy wheels that came on the TR8, so I guess I don't understand why TR7 steel wheels would not fit a TR8, no matter when it was made.

I believe the alloy wheels are needed with the TR8 brakes. So I guess the question is, did the pre-production TR8 coupes have TR7 brakes, or TR8 brakes?

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
All TR8s had the exact same brakes, just like all TR8s had 3.08 rear ends. The story is that TR8 calipers will contact the TR7 wheels and you won't be able to roll the car around. I've seen TR8s with steel TR7 wheels roll just fine.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links