Installing 89' Rover 3.9 V8 wireing harness in 79' TR7 coupe

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

petersonhandyman1 Thomas Peterson
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a 1979 TR7 that I have been working on for 5 years. It is a fully converted TR8. I put in a 89' Range Rover fuel injected 3.9 V8. I had to do a lot to make this happen, but that's another topic. I live in Langley British Columbia Canada and was wondering if anyone new of a good electrical shop near me to help with joining the two harnesses together.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm just down the road from you in New Westminster. I'll ask my mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the guy he uses is in East Van. Is that too far? Are you looking for someone in the valley?

Brent

I am looking for a place that is going to do the work themselves in house. Vancouver is okay. Preferably someone who knows Range Rover fuel injection as well as Triumph.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, KS, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
I did this conversion last year and used the complete engine harness from a disco. Did not need to join harnesses, just meshed together at relays and fuel pump etc. I still have the car. Converted the ECU to a TVR chip also.

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
I am close to doing this very job on my 1981 TR8 automatic that will soon have a D&D Fabrications built 3.9-liter, 1992 Range Rover Hotwire EFI system and ZF 4HP22 automatic.

OK, so, I have been studying the RR and TR wiring harnesses.
They won't simply plug in at the EFI power junction -- the plugs or sockets are not compatible. But the wires pretty much are.

There are only about 5 or 6 wires that need to be matched and connected.
Power
Switched power
Tach signal
Fuel Pump
Ground
automatic gearbox neutral safety switch
etc.

I am not an electrician, but this is something I feel confident that I can do.
Best to study the RR Haynes manual and the TR8 ROM.
Also: There are some great videos on You Tube.

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
Sent you a PM

Brent

This project has been a no brainer up until this point. No one wants to work on what one mechanic called my British night mire. Yes it is only 6 wires but lots of other connections too. You have the new electric fans etc. The harness is complete from Rover and yes everything in place and just needs to be hooked up at relay as other points as one other guy suggests. Well this is common sense. It's not that simple. Failure to do your harness correctly will result in FIRE .

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
A little dramatic...that's what fuses are for. But I think you are asking an electrician to do the impossible by joining the harnesses off the car. It needs to be done on the car and its really not that difficult. A harness for the fans they could probably do off the car but not the injection loom.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Not always fire, sometimes when you hook things up incorrectly they just don't work.

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
So, the first photo is of the TR8's fuel injection relay and where the harness plugs into it.
The second photo is of the Range Rover's Hotwire (14CUX) harness plug. These are the wires that need to be joined on my car -- which is easier for me because it came from the factory with EFi.

However, this video gives you a better idea of how to wire a vehicle for 14CUX if it didn't come from the factory with EFi

Attachments:
IMG_7839.JPG    44.8 KB
IMG_7839.JPG

rrplug.JPG    28.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
PM did not come through.
Happy to help you in any way I can.

Richard

Will do.

Help!! Easy for who??

Attachments:
DSC_0365.JPG    38.2 KB
DSC_0365.JPG

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
The degree of difficulty increases immensely if the car didn't come from the factory with EFi.
What I would do is change the wiring harness in the car to that of an EFi TR, 7 or 8. It isn't terribly difficult to change the entire wiring harness.
Failing that, you really need an expert who can:
(1) Read and understand wiring diagrams
(2) Properly and professionally create an interface between the TR's harness and the Rover's. That is, splicing, soldering and weatherproofing all connections as well as safely mounting them.
(3) Ensure that the ECU is mounted properly so that it is not bothered by vibrations, static electricity or the elements
(4) Properly wire in the fuel pump and inertia switch

Not a small job, but the RR EFi system isn't terribly complex, either.

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
In reply to # 1512553 by Rover827 The degree of difficulty increases immensely if the car didn't come from the factory with EFi.
What I would do is change the wiring harness in the car to that of an EFi TR, 7 or 8. It isn't terribly difficult to change the entire wiring harness.
Failing that, you really need an expert who can:
(1) Read and understand wiring diagrams
(2) Properly and professionally create an interface between the TR's harness and the Rover's. That is, splicing, soldering and weatherproofing all connections as well as safely mounting them.
(3) Ensure that the ECU is mounted properly so that it is not bothered by vibrations, static electricity or the elements
(4) Properly wire in the fuel pump and inertia switch

Not a small job, but the RR EFi system isn't terribly complex, either.

+1. That's about it. It will probably work out pretty expensive if its done by a shop though, as it can be very time consuming to put the jigsaw together if you have no prior experience with this system.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links