1981 Triumph tr8 nad 101490 starter

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wyatt152013 James Brooks
Monrovia, MD, USA   USA
I am changing the old lucas starter to a new gear reduction starter. I only has one spade connector on the back and I know the W/O line goes on that but what about the W/Y line? I found some information that says you don't need that since the new starter takes less voltage to start the vehicle. Is that correct information and if not what do it do with the W/Y line going to ballast and coil?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
That's the issue with those starters......... The early Rover geared starters had a provision for the white yellow wire, later and after market ones don't. The w/y wire feeds the coil with 12 volts when starting the car. Some cars will start on the 5 or so volts from the resistor, some will not. Mine would not start without 12 volts supplied at starting.

"............you don't need that since the new starter takes less voltage to start the vehicle." Huh....... the w/y has nothing to do with the starter taking less voltage. It takes 12 volts to start the vehicle no matter what starter you have. It may take less amps to start, but, the w/y wire supplies 12 volts from the starter and not many amps I'm sure.

I went thru this exercise trying to get my car to work with the geared starter and finally just rebuilt the original starter as I wanted my car all original looking. I guess you could change the coil to a 12 volt bosch coil, get rid of the resistor package, and go that route if will not start on the 5 volts or so it gets from the resistor. If it will start on 5 volts, just insulate the wire end if you are not using it as it will turn the engine off if it grounds.

Do not attach it to the white/orange wire thinking that will supply 12 volts when engaging the starter either. Because, the w/y wire will also back feed voltage to the starter when the car is running and the ignition switch is no longer in the start position.

It's a case of changing one thing that affects another. The people that sell these starters never give you the whole picture.

Good luck with your project

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I put one of these in my TR8 from TS imported in Ohio. Had it put in by a mechanic. Has been one of my best purchases
Guaranteed for life

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links