AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mypontiac Avatar
mypontiac Sean Cook
austin, TX, USA   USA
Hi Guys,

I left the fog lights on my 1980 TR8 today. Had to get a jump. As the battery took the charge from the jump I could see the clock starting to tick away.

The problem is that once the car started I see that the clock is no longer working.

Could I possibly be lucky enough to just need to change a fuse? Or did I kill my clock?

Thanks,

Sean

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1508307 by mypontiac Hi Guys,

I left the fog lights on my 1980 TR8 today. Had to get a jump. As the battery took the charge from the jump I could see the clock starting to tick away.

The problem is that once the car started I see that the clock is no longer working.

Could I possibly be lucky enough to just need to change a fuse? Or did I kill my clock?

Thanks,

Sean

Sean:

Not likely to be a fuse.

More likely the clock simply stalled, as they are prone to do. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery a couple of times will often get them running, although they are likely to stall again.

If it does stall again, you can oil the bearings for the balance wheel with a drop of sewing machine oil or three-in-one oil. You must pull the clock from the cluster to get at the bearings, and you will need a hypodermic needle or similar to do the oiling. This will fix most or nearly all clocks.

For the really stubborn clocks, you have the option of having someone like west valley instruments convert the clock to a quartz movement, or doing the modifications shown in this PDF.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

mypontiac Avatar
mypontiac Sean Cook
austin, TX, USA   USA
Thanks for the quick reply Vance. I did the battery initially with the key off. Before your reply I had read a post where Woody Cooper noted to "jolt" the clock to start it. So I turned the ignition to on and tried it again. Success!!!!

My next two projects are to fix a non working fuel gauge and non working horn. Hoping the horn is due to a bad switch. It suffers from the rotating turn signal stick.

I am currently using the car as a driver. It was my dad's TR8. Wilbur Cook. He was a member of this forum.

Sean

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
This happened to me exactly the same. I am.not sure exactly which way it goes but when you jump the car to start if you remove the battery cables in the wrong order the clock will stop. When ILeft my fog lights on for a secomd time i must have jumped it the other way because my clock started working again. I dont thinkyou have fried the clock.

ThomasKozak Thomas Kozak
Montgomery, TX, USA   USA
My clock from 1980 still works.........except at 150% of it's original speed. Guess that means that twice a day it's correct. Seriously, I already have a oil pressure gauge to put in the clock's spot first chance I get. Let's not fret the clock. Besides, when you change to a good radio it will have a clock in it anyway.
Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Stag

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links