TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

82 TR7, rebuilt engine run in stopped after 20 min, won’t restart.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Draegon Tim Barrick
Hamilton, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi everyone, I need some help.

Just had my engine professionally rebuilt and installed in my 82 TR7.

They were doing a run in on the engine, 2000 RPM for 20 min. Got close to 20 min, engine died and would not restart.
Engine turns over, no spark at plugs, do get 1 weak spark at the coil/transformer looking thing mounted on the sidewall beside the brake master cylinder.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The car is at the shop so I don’t know the distributor it uses, although it is the original that came with it.

The mechanic wants to replace the coil/transformer looking thing, it does spark once only when trying to start the car, but I think it might be the electronic ignition module or the distributor.

It says AC Delco, made in France on the bottom of the coil thing assembly.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
The coil and distributor are on the passenger side of the engine. The brake master cylinder is on the driver's side. So I'm having a bit of a problem visualizing the parts you are talking about. Nevertheless, if there is no spark at the plugs it sounds like the mech is on the right track. I would go with his lead.

nick

Draegon Tim Barrick
Thanks, I’m going by the picture he sent me of it as to it’s location. It does appear that it is the ignition module.

Any ideas as to the quickest module I can get to replace this? With my luck it’s the one that is no longer available.

Anything goes wrong with my 78 Spitfire, I know exactly what it is. I’ve owned it for 38 years I’ve only owned the TR7 for 2 years so far, so know next to nothing about it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
These Delco distributors are pretty reliable.
Ignition modules are fairly common and looks something like this:

VoAAOxyT7NR6YZU&vxp=mtr" target="_blank" >https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-Ignition-Control-Module-4-Pin-HEI-Distributor-NOS-Made-in-the-USA/321379120140?hash=item4ad3b0340c:ggrinning smileyVoAAOxyT7NR6YZU&vxp=mtr

Try the Roadster Factory.

Draegon Tim Barrick
Thanks Rich!

I just found out Obsolete Auto can’t get me the module for the TR7 anymore, so was wondering if I could get just the module, replace that part of the assembly without changing the distributor as well?

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Tim,

I didn't realize British Leyland was still making TR-7s in 1982. Not sure what a coil/transformer looking thing is or why it would be mounted on the driver's side of the car since everything electrical leading to the plugs is on the right side firewall, however I've seen some pretty strange things done by POs over the years.

If you're getting a weak spark from the coil it seems like the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to replace the coil.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1506515 by sliproc Tim,

I didn't realize British Leyland was still making TR-7s in 1982.

Kevin:

Leyland stopped production late in '81, but there were some cars titled as '82s. I don't know exactly where the cutoff occurred, but it is possible a few rolled out of the factory at the very beginning of the '82 model year, which started in the fall for most automakers. However, my understanding is that any so called '82s were in fact '81s that were assembled during the final death throes of British Leyland.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1506517 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1506515 by sliproc Tim,

I didn't realize British Leyland was still making TR-7s in 1982.

Kevin:

Leyland stopped production late in '81, but there were some cars titled as '82s. I don't know exactly where the cutoff occurred, but it is possible a few rolled out of the factory at the very beginning of the '82 model year, which started in the fall for most automakers. However, my understanding is that any so called '82s were in fact '81s that were assembled during the final death throes of British Leyland.

Vance

Here is some information on the 1982 TR7/TR8 models, all went to Canada. These were actual 1982 model year vehicles (built in the 1981 calendar year), not 81 models that were first titled in 1982.

http://www.tr8.com/TR8-1982.htm

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
To get back on topic. Your problem sounds to me like the module also. I haven't worked on a TR7 engine since the 80's, so I'm not the sharpest on their troubles. I thought any GM ignition module from the eighties would work. This guy also claims the same thing and has done it.

"While troubleshooting the ongoing ignition problems I'm having, I decided to get a new ignition module (have a couple used spares). Most of the major parts players (TRF, Wedgeparts, Vicky Brit) don't list it anymore; the only one I found that did was Moss. Anyway, took one of the non-installed ones to the local Delco distributor, showed him, and the first thing he asked was "so you've got an older Chevy 350?" Turns out the same module is used on millions of late 70s-late 80's Chevy trucks! Sold it to me at wholesale, which was about 20% less than Moss, not counting shipping. Anyway, for those with the Delco ignition system, the Delco part number is D1906 , GM # 10482820 . Still trying to see if I can get a source for an OEM coil itself; am cross-referenced to a 1985 Peoguet 505."

And another guy. http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgelab/ignition/delco/delco.htm

Good luck with your project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-08 02:12 PM by Mr. Nuts.

Draegon Tim Barrick
Thanks for that info Mr. Nuts and all.

I just got back from AC Delco, and they couldn’t help me, mind you the module was still in place in the casing.

I will try now to get that part you listed the number for. I assume it’s just the module and not the whole assembly?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1506522 by darrellwalker
Here is some information on the 1982 TR7/TR8 models, all went to Canada. These were actual 1982 model year vehicles (built in the 1981 calendar year), not 81 models that were first titled in 1982.

http://www.tr8.com/TR8-1982.htm

-Darrell

Darrell:

Yikes, a whopping 70 1982 TR8s and 130 1982 TR7s. All built in 1981 calendar year, but during the 1982 model year.

Thanks for the correction.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Draegon Tim Barrick
They have the D1906 module in stock, and am headed out to get it!

Hopefully it can be switched out easily.

Draegon Tim Barrick
Ok, picked up the module, only $99.00 Canadian dollars, dropped it off at the mechanics.

Now have to wait a day or two, will let you know how it works out, thanks again for all the help!

Draegon Tim Barrick
Oh, btw Kevin, this eim assembly is definitely on the drivers side fender, just looked at it.

Dan B Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV, USA   USA
It was on the driver's side on my 1980 model too. Only makes sense, since the spark plugs and distributor are on the driver's side. As previously stated, 1982 models were only imported into Canada.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links