Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
My winter project returned from the body shop yesterday.
It's SATPZ4549BA408171, the only Oporto Red Metallic TR8 ever made, a 1981 built on Sept. 18 1981.

The build began today with the installation of a new spoiler. I started there because when I need inspiration for How To Do It Right, that's where I will look. It's factory perfect.

She's a looooong way from being back on the road. Except for the suspension, she's nearly completely apart.

But what fun.

TR8 restorations are my favorite.

Rich Truett

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Spoiler.JPG    30.9 KB
Spoiler.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG    40.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_7461.JPG    47.6 KB
tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Very nice, should be stunning. What spoiler is that?

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
I love that color, I have not seen one in person. Tan interior?

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
That is the stock TR7/8 front spoiler. Just looks a little different from that angle.

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
It does have the tan velour interior.
But the seats are a bit worn, and I am not quite sure about the interior restoration yet.
I can get cloth that is very close to what Triumph used, but not an exact match. At this juncture I am leaning towards changing the interior to black, which will match up nicely with the red metallic paint.

Thankfully, that decision is a ways off. I have to reinstall everything.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Rich,

My wedge like yours came with the tan velour seats, I never liked them that much but as I recall that was pretty much all there was available at the time. They wore out pretty fast at which point I changed to a tan heavy cloth weave which was nicer and held up better but stained easily. Finally I bit the bullet and went with leather seats, in my opinion the only way to go. That thing is going to be a beauty when she's done, if it was my choice there's no way I get anywhere near that thing with velour.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503989 by Rover827 My winter project returned from the body shop yesterday.
It's SATPZ4549BA408171, the only Oporto Red Metallic TR8 ever made, a 1981 built on Sept. 18 1981.

The build began today with the installation of a new spoiler. I started there because when I need inspiration for How To Do It Right, that's where I will look. It's factory perfect.

She's a looooong way from being back on the road. Except for the suspension, she's nearly completely apart.

But what fun.

TR8 restorations are my favorite.

Rich Truett

Ours are pretty close...our Auto ends in 8197. Also tan trim also replaced with more of a Jeep type seat face. We’re not big fans of the Auto box. Love your color!!

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
The BorgWarner transmission is a crude gearbox.
I am replacing it with a ZF 4HP22 from a Rover V-8 powered Sherpa van. This is a 4-speed automatic with far better everything, refinement, performance, shifts, reliability.

Could I see a photo of your seats? I found Mercury used material in the 1975 cars that is close to our velour.

I see your gold TR8 was built on 9-15 '81.

There were 13 automatics built for the '81 model year.

I also have 408449 -- an '82 Canadian (5-speed) built on 10-11-81, the last day of production. It has 7600 total miles. Blue velour interior on that one.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504102 by Rover827 The BorgWarner transmission is a crude gearbox.
I am replacing it with a ZF 4HP22 from a Rover V-8 powered Sherpa van. This is a 4-speed automatic with far better everything, refinement, performance, shifts, reliability.

Could I see a photo of your seats? I found Mercury used material in the 1975 cars that is close to our velour.

I see your gold TR8 was built on 9-15 '81.

There were 13 automatics built for the '81 model year.

I also have 408449 -- an '82 Canadian (5-speed) built on 10-11-81, the last day of production. It has 7600 total miles. Blue velour interior on that one.

Ok you gotta post some info/pics of the auto box when you get there smiling smiley

Ours is the last injected car according to the twoa

Attachments:
51C5C6F5-8838-4697-B329-64FF3EDE4454.jpeg    29.7 KB
51C5C6F5-8838-4697-B329-64FF3EDE4454.jpeg

C3720F13-1039-4CF7-8F9B-0F0A6394C609.jpeg    70.4 KB
734E6575-7C2C-40B4-8B15-732C755F8335.jpeg    31.3 KB
842FC21E-F1DF-46ED-92FD-665BA9D805F9.jpeg    42.1 KB
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
I like your seats, a lihjter interior makes the interior look richer an d more expensive. Just my $0.02.

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1504201 by gozto11
Ok you gotta post some info/pics of the auto box when you get there smiling smiley

Ours is the last injected car according to the twoa

Todd:

I like that fabric, looks like it should be very durable.

BTW, I see that the factory paint on the dash and console is looking a bit tired as it is prone to do after 40 years. I used Plastikote Charcoal Gray rubber bumper paint which is a near perfect match to the original, unfaded color of the dash. Really makes the interior look sharp when the trim is all cleaned up. One can will do the entire dash.

I lived with my faded, splotchy dask for quite a while, but when I pulled the heater box to fix a leak, I repainted the dash. I am now wishing I had done it originally, but oh well.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Car looks stunning in that color and there's a special look to one that has no trim, seats, bumpers, or top yet, Just fresh perfect paint. IMO a black interior is the way to go with that red. As I get older I realize that a lot of folks my age go down the beige rabbit hole. Tan pants, brown shirt, beige sweater. Tan walls in their houses. Metallic tan/silver cars with tan interior. YUCK, I try to avoid it like the plague. All black would look stunning IMO. I too once had Triumphs velour seats in my '81. Has to be the absolute worse material ever considered for car seats ever. But hey, it was the '80's, velour meant luxury, everyone had to have that Cadillac touch. Even a sports car. I went with blue vinyl kits from RimmerBros. in an earlier stock style pattern, I was going to get fancy but cost, and quite honestly I like the wide vertical pleats sports cars from the day had whether in vinyl or leather.

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, MI, USA   USA
Nice job!

Was just looking at options tonight to redo the interior.

I am not 100 percent, but this is the most likely way I will redo my interior.

Color change from tan to black using new door panels, carpet and other trim from Rimmer Bros or Victoria British, whomever is cheaper.
Import a set of MGF seats like these.

Those seats should fit, be comfortable and look great.

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    67.1 KB
s-l1600.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links