AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8fan Avatar
TR8fan Mike Shultz
Folsom, CA, USA   USA
All,

I have been meaning to get duplicate keys made and have been putting it off. Well now I misplaced the only set. What is the easiest way to go about getting a replacement key?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Mike,

I think you can still get blanks at any good key shop, if not VB sells blanks. The problem is without an original key there's nothing to cut the spare with. If you can't find your original you can always pull the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith and have a new key made.

I like your license plate, I've never had my wedge mistaken for anything else, however the license plate on my Jensen-Healey says "NOOMG" because people kept calling it an MG. I wanted "NO MG" but it was already taken, I guess I'm not the only one.

JFS John Svejda
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
Don't know if he's still active, but Peter Groh enabled me to get new keys ground when I lost mine as well:

pete_groh@yahoo.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1503377 by TR8fan All,

I have been meaning to get duplicate keys made and have been putting it off. Well now I misplaced the only set. What is the easiest way to go about getting a replacement key?

Thanks

Since your door locks use the same key, the right thing to do is take the ignition switch to a locksmith.

If you are really lucky, there will still be a small paper tag on the lock with a numeric code. The locksmith can look up the code in his master key book under "British Leyland" and punch a key using the information in the book. If there is no number, he will disassemble the lock and read the combination from the pins, and punch a new key.

A key cost me $25 if the code was present on the lock, $50 if the locksmith had to open the lock, and $10 for any duplicates. The locksmith will not copy the key, he will punch new ones which are better than the usual hardware store copy, which occasionally fail to work because a copy is not exact.

I would imagine prices have gone up since I had it done. That was quite a while ago.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
If you have a Heritage Certificate it may key codes. Mine does

TR8fan Avatar
TR8fan Mike Shultz
Folsom, CA, USA   USA
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was lucky and the keys turned up this morning.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links