TR 8 front bumper snugging in

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
So I have a 1980 TR 8, and been looking at this forum quite a bit. I have noticed that a few folks have managed to snug the front bumper very tight to the front Bodywork. How is this achieved?

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 09:49 PM by Ron Avery.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I don't have many pictures. The DHC bumper is attached to the ends of the frame with a rubber spacer, this, along with weights in the ends of the bumper and the pivot in the middle was designed to dampen "scuttle shake". I've not heard of anyone that has removed the weights having any problems with scuttle shake, and I've heard, but don't have any confirmation, that Triumph decided the counterweight system wasn't needed after all, but had already done the crash testing and didn't want to redo it.

So you remove the front bumper. I removed the pivot pin, because it is too long once you remove the spacers. I removed the counterweights, buy you probably have to remove the cover to do that. But they are quite heavy, and hanging out at the front corners of the car, so it makes sense. The bolt pattern between the spacer and the bumper and the spacer and the frame isn't the same, so you have to drill some new holes in the front of the frame rails. I used the spacer as a pattern, but be aware that the bumper will have to sit up a little higher, as the back of the bumper is a "C" shape, and the ends have to fit above and below the frame ends.

Here are the only two pictures I have.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0023.jpg    23.4 KB
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg    31.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for the info, sounds like a job that is not has complex as I had thought. I would have thought there were shocks behind the bumper, like some other 1970's or 1980's cars that I have owned. So the weights are behind the sides of the bumpers that curve around the sides of the front fenders?

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 09:50 PM by Ron Avery.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1501974 by Ron Avery So the weights are behind the sides of the bumpers that curve around the sides of the front fenders?

It's been a while, but I think that is correct. You can see them from the back side of the bumper, but the bolts that hold them to the bumper go through from the front side, which is why the cover has to come off.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
I decided the clean up the look of the front bumper on my TR8.
After reading the various comments I decided the simply remove the rubber mounting blocks and mount the bumper directly on the frame brackets.
In the end it worked very well but it was a process. Once I removed the bumper it noticed that one bracket had been damaged and repaired but not very well.
I removed the rubber mounting blocks, measured for drilling the new mounting holes.
From there, a lot of grinding, mounting of the bumper, measuring, removing, grinding etc. adding shims or washers here and there to get the exact fit and tilt, but in the end I am very pleased with the results. Attention to detail and proper adjustments meant a good result.
While the bumper was off my TR8, I also focused on replacing the horns for more powerful models and replaced the driving lights; this was more than just a bumper adjustment.
Lastly, while the front grille was off (such as it is), I painted the slim body panel, behind the grille, in flat black so that the body colour did not show through the grille slots.
I did not remove the side weights on my bumper; I would if I removed the cover but not this time around.

I did not feel any negative after effects of the bumper mounted directly on the mounts; I am very pleased with the final look.

In the end, the real purpose was to remove the drooping look and have a snug bumper; the Before and After:

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Attachments:
Before.jpg    28.5 KB
Before.jpg

After.jpg    28.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
nochance98 Avatar
nochance98 Mark Palmer
Halifax, NS, Canada   CAN
Damnit. Now I'm going to have to do that as well.. That's been annoying me for decades!

1980 TR7 V8 - 27 years, 1977 Victory Edition TR7 EV - 10 years, 1980 TR7 - 2 years

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Many people just install coupe bumpers which had no extra weights and were designed to sit flush. Those weights run around 8 pounds a piece. There are other options to drop weight off the front including drilling large holes is the steel frame, replacing the frame with a custom aluminum one, and finally installing fiberglass bumpers. That heavy bumper hanging way out in front of the wheels is the number one reason these cars nose dive under heavy braking. The models sold in Europe didn't have crash bumpers. They had 3 piece fiberglass units front and rear, and combined must have shed 100 pounds off the car.

Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve Wylie
Litchfield Park, AZ, USA   USA
I removed the rubber spacers and mounted the bumper core directly to the car. I had to re-drill one hole on each side if I remember correctly. I removed the weights, and used the UK covers as I like that look a lot better. I think it looks really good, as the back of the bumper corner follows the cutout curve in the body. If you use the UK bumpers on a convertible, you need to use coupe grills above the bumper, or at least trim the original ones down.

Attachments:
IMG_0029.JPG    71.3 KB
IMG_0029.JPG

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
I was lucky mine was done when I got it. Thanks, Rob

Attachments:
P1060428.JPG    46.8 KB
P1060428.JPG

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Nice Rob,
I will look into this after I get my car back from the shop. I am taking it in tomorrow fingers crossed.
He is a one man shop, and works at his own speed. I hope I get the car back by XMass weekend,
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Ron,
hope you have it back as there is a nice drive on New Years Day near Magic Mountain. It always attracts a large crowd usually 20-30 cars and this year will be a memorial run for Herman Van den Akker who was well known in the Triumph World. Thanks, Rob

johnjb John B
Auburn, WA, USA   USA
Steve,

Car looks great with those bumpers.

who did you get the UK bumper covers from?

John

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
What causes the bumper to sag? Is it the mounting assembly OR does the bumper sag/warp over time?

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1502225 by RossL What causes the bumper to sag? Is it the mounting assembly OR does the bumper sag/warp over time?

I feel there are a number of factors. First of all, the cover is the same between the FHC and DHC, yet the DHC is mounted about an inch forward, and a little lower. So right off the bat, the ends of the bumper that wrap around already look a little sagged.

Second, the metal bumper doesn't wrap all the way around, so the ends of the cover are not supported. Over time, I think they can sag or warp, which adds to the appearance of sagging.

Some people have also reported that the rubber from the mounts starts to separate. I personally don't see how that by itself can cause a sag, since the bumper is supported by the pivot pin. But it could be as the mounts start to fail, where the pivot mounts to the body could start to bend.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
The sagging is 99% the rubber sandwich delaminating from the metal on the convertible brackets. I've seen them welded up and the sagging goes away. The few coupes that were made side by side with the first run of convertibles, used an aluminum spacer to achieve the extra spacing that the convertible bumper gained. That way both body styles could use the convertible grills. Calling them convertible grills is a misnomer because they were also found on the later coupes, but thats what they have always been called. Coupe grills are the ones where the top and bottom extend the same distance outward. Convertible grills extend farther on the bottom to cover that extra spacing caused by using the rubber mounts. The cleanest look is to source a coupe bumper and grills and swap them. Finding good examples is getting harder. Most of the coupes are gone even thou they made 4 times as many coupes as convertibles. I just replaced the passenger side grill on my orange TR7 coupe after it came back from paint, and even my stash is running low on coupe grills.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links