Speaker Options

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
My 1980 TR8 has 4" speakers in the doors and a recent Sony stereo. I was thinking about upgraded the sound system. But 4" speakers are useless.

Can I get 5.25" speakers in the doors, I don't mind cutting some metal away.

I feel there would be a need for additional speakers also. Is there any room for something in the panel behind the seats?
Other suggestions are welcome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Yes, 5.25" speakers will fit in the door, with perhaps some cutting. You will also need to be careful of the depth.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1501596 by RossL My 1980 TR8 has 4" speakers in the doors and a recent Sony stereo. I was thinking about upgraded the sound system. But 4" speakers are useless.

I feel there would be a need for additional speakers also. Is there any room for something in the panel behind the seats?

Ross:

I put infinity 5-1/4" two-way speakers in without cutting any sheet metal. I did need to drill some holes in the sheet metal to accept the mounting screws, but the speaker frame cleared the existing opening.

There is solid sheet metal behind the seats, and punching a hole would open the passenger compartment to the outside environment in the vicinity of the rear axle. Probably not a good idea. The rear deck is covered when the soft top is down, so forget using that location.

I think you should try the two speaker installation before worrying about it, though. I find that with the Infinity speakers in the door there is plenty of bass, and the tweeters are on swivel mounts so I can aim them well enough to get good highs. There is also an adjustable cross over, so I can get a pleasing balance.

If that does not do it for you, I came up with the idea of removing the shrouds for the soft top frame mounts, and installing 2 additional flush mount speakers in the b-pillar just aft of the frame mountings. There is a pre-cut hole in the sheet metal there (covered by carpet), and they would be unobstructed with the top up or down. As it is, if you install them behind the seats the only thing they would be good for is sub woofers, as the highs would be totally muffled by the seats.

The plastic shrouds can be reinstalled at any time, and I suppose you could even install the shrouds with the speakers in place. The top of the shroud is totally open, and might even make a good dispersive reflector for the sound.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
AudioFrog GS62's will fit with a little nibble. Nice thing is they have a very shallow magnet structure. And they sound fantastic. They do like a little more power though.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nJ3YCOJNL45/p_898GS62/Audiofrog-GS62.html

I did not use the huge plastic grill assembly. I used a smidgen of Loctite double sided tape to hold the grill in place.

Polk's are also known to be decent, efficient speakers.

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501610 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1501596 by RossL My 1980 TR8 has 4" speakers in the doors and a recent Sony stereo. I was thinking about upgraded the sound system. But 4" speakers are useless.

Ross:

I put infinity 5-1/4" two-way speakers in without cutting any sheet metal. I did need to drill some holes in the sheet metal to accept the mounting screws, but the speaker frame cleared the existing opening.

There is solid sheet metal behind the seats, and punching a hole would open the passenger compartment to the outside environment in the vicinity of the rear axle. Probably not a good idea. The rear deck is covered when the soft top is down, so forget using that location.

I think you should try the two speaker installation before worrying about it, though. I find that with the Infinity speakers in the door there is plenty of bass, and the tweeters are on swivel mounts so I can aim them well enough to get good highs. There is also an adjustable cross over, so I can get a pleasing balance.

If that does not do it for you, I came up with the idea of removing the shrouds for the soft top frame mounts, and installing 2 additional flush mount speakers in the b-pillar just aft of the frame mountings. There is a pre-cut hole in the sheet metal there (covered by carpet), and they would be unobstructed with the top up or down. As it is, if you install them behind the seats the only thing they would be good for is sub woofers, as the highs would be totally muffled by the seats.

The plastic shrouds can be reinstalled at any time, and I suppose you could even install the shrouds with the speakers in place. The top of the shroud is totally open, and might even make a good dispersive reflector for the sound.

Vance

While researching this I saw you mention a subwoofer you designed for the TR6, did you ever use the sub in the TR8?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1501618 by RossL
While researching this I saw you mention a subwoofer you designed for the TR6, did you ever use the sub in the TR8?

I did not. The TR6 had a very high passenger foot well and some space up behind the glove box. The TR8 has none of this, and so there is not a good place to install it as it was 7" tall. I used surplus magnets epoxied on the housing to hold it up in the foot well so that I did not need to drill holes to mount it. It was solid, I really had to pull on it to get it to come loose. Never once got knocked loose in traffic, no matter how big the potholes got.

However, there are some powered subwoofers designed to fit underneath the passenger/driver seats. I think these might be a good option. There is probably not enough room under the TR8 seats, but I bet there would be enough room behind the seats. No need to cut a hole in the sheet metal. I think Harman Kardon made them. The mail order catalog for Crutchfield, the big car stereo web sellers listed them. I remember they were 4" tall - too tall to fit under the TR6 seats, and rather pricey as they were powered.

addendum: Here is an option that is 2-3/4" thick: Kenwood KSC-SW11 It is expensive though because it has a built in amplifier.

I recall looking at these for the TR6, but there was not enough room. Installing speakers behind the TR6 seats required cutting away some body gussets (which many people do) but I did not want to compromise the body. And no one made an unpowered sub small enough to fit in the passenger foot well. So I made my own. Worked great too. Used 8" PVC pipe, and an 8" woofer. Powered it off the two rear channels on my radio which were otherwise unused. I used the + connection from one rear channel, and the - connection from the other rear channel. That mixes the two channels together so you get both channels out of a single speaker. I used the front/read fader control to adjust the sound level for the woofer. I could actually hear my radio with good bass response up to about 45 MPH, after that there was just too much wind noise. Turning up the radio just made me go deaf.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 10:33 AM by Darth V8R.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
As usual I think Vance hit the nail on the head. Ross before you get to crazy with dollars and modifications keep in mind a 70s british roadster is not a great place to mount a high quality, high dollar sound system.

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I have Kenwood 5 and a quarter inch speakers in my door. They fit fine. I had to trim slightly larger holes in the new door panels i bought but no metal cutting needed.

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501884 by sliproc As usual I think Vance hit the nail on the head. Ross before you get to crazy with dollars and modifications keep in mind a 70s british roadster is not a great place to mount a high quality, high dollar sound system.

I would agree that there's no need for the finer parts of a stereo system. I didn't bother to install a DSP of any kind to get EQ, time alignment and individual driver volume like I have in the 328 or XC90.
I would say, however, this is exactly the kind of platform where it's go big or don't go at all. You will need a clean source, clean preamp section, tons of clean power and finally, speaker drivers that can take it.

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster