Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Growling-Grinnall-V8 Avatar
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Alastair Campbell
Portadown, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
Did all TR8s come with power steering as standard?

The PAS in my converted 7 is a modified SD1 rack.

The TR8 was never available in the UK, so RHD TR8 power racks simply dont exist.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
That's OK, they're all crap anyway.
It's a jag rack and I can attest they all leak. At least all of mine did.
This time around I converted to the manual rack and added EPS.
http://leonbirchall.co.uk/easysteer/index.html

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1501368 by robtr8 That's OK, they're all crap anyway.
It's a jag rack and I can attest they all leak. At least all of mine did.
This time around I converted to the manual rack and added EPS.
http://leonbirchall.co.uk/easysteer/index.html

Rob,

My TR8 was retrofitted with a manual TR7 steering rack.

Please tell us more about the power steering kit you installed:
1 - Is it a straight forward install?
2 - Installed under the dash at the firewall?
3 - All parts and bits included or did you have to source additional bits?
4 - Any machining or mods required to the steering shaft?
5 - How much time to install?
6 - Is this system adjustable for steering boost level?
7 - Which kit did you order from the supplier - I could not see much detail on the website.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Yes, all TR8s came with the power steering rack. They are the same manufacturer and use the same rebuild kits as the Jags of the era. Personally I'm not a fan, thats why there are several in them stashed in my basement. The car I'm building now is getting huge tires and I suspect the manual rack is going to be too difficult to manage. If that turns out to be the case, I will install an EPS. Tons of write ups on the web on people converting using junk yard components.

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
He obtains a steering shaft and grafts on the Saturn EPS along with some wiring and a controller.
Once you get it in the mail, you ship him back the core.
Fairly straightforward install although it's a tight fit and I needed to remove one dash support (which he does warn about) and I wasn't able to reconnect the speedo cable (which is also OK because that cable always goes "wichy wichy wichy" and I always disconnect it anyway.)
Effort is adjustable.
I did wind up calling his shop a couple times. He always answered the phone. That right there is worth supporting.
Initially, the EPS fought me. Turns out I got a RHD EPS so I needed to swap the power leads.

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

Ahhh!

So they used a Jag rack! Always wondered.

Mine started as a 7 and converted to V8 in late 80s by Mark Grinnall, in part using left over 8 parts and some clever butchery.

Used a shortend SD1 rack, so naturally has started leaking at 60,000 miles/30 years since rebuilding to fit TR7. SD1 rebuild kit to sort it.

You'd have thought a RHD Jag rack would have been used. Maybe the Jag rack and SD1 racks re the same beast? The TR8 lower column I got from Rimmers is a perfect fit, both in length and splines.

Good thing about mine is that its a quick rack from the injected 190BHP Vitesse model- 2.5 turns lock to lock. Bad thing is the vague, dead section in the middle.

You can name your own price for a genuine RHD TR8 power rack. Only 60 odd pre-production UK model TR8s escaped the factory, usually bought by employees.

The plan was to launch the TR8 in the UK in May 1982, but clearly that never happened. A cottage industry offering to convert your sprung up shortly afterwards. Most conversions use the manual rack.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1501601 by Growling-Grinnall-V8
Used a shortend SD1 rack, so naturally has started leaking at 60,000 miles/30 years since rebuilding to fit TR7. SD1 rebuild kit to sort it.

You'd have thought a RHD Jag rack would have been used. Maybe the Jag rack and SD1 racks re the same beast? The TR8 lower column I got from Rimmers is a perfect fit, both in length and splines.

Alastair:

Shortened SD1 rack? Was the rack housing shortened, or were the tie rods shortened, neither, or both?

It seems to me if an SD1 rack can be fitted, the lack of available TR8 PS racks is a non issue, or so it would seem.

Same holds true if a Jag rack can be fitted.

I was always given to understand that the rack was a bespoke design, made just for the TR8. True?

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

I suspect the rack housing itself was shortend. I'd need to compare the dims of mine to an SD1 rack to confirm.

The bolt holes for mounting the modded SD1 rack in my subframe are not in the same place as those on genuine 8 subframes.

I'll try and get some pics.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Dug thru the pile of power racks in the basement because I knew there was an SD1 rack at the bottom still mounted on a SD1 subframe. Took some pics and some measurements. Its obvious these are not the same racks. About the only dimension that lines up ids the inner tie rods are very close in length. Housings are 18" wide for TR8 and 22.25" for the SD1. Mounting holes are 14.5" for TR8 and the SD1 is narrower at 11.25". Inner tie rods are similar at about 11.5". So based on this, I'd guess the SD1 has a track width of about 5 more inches than the TR8 and most of that is in the body of the rack. I'm sure there is more in the offset of the wheels and hubs as well. The control box on top of the SD1 rack points the hose outlets forward. The TR8 control box points towards the center of the car. Hoses and hard lines are completely different. If one was to try and swap racks, The SD1 rack would not be any first choice. I'd love to see what the measurements of a Jag rack are. Might make more sense to tear one of those apart and cut it down to size.

Attachments:
DSCI1799.JPG    71.1 KB
DSCI1799.JPG

DSCI1798.JPG    52.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCI1797.JPG    58.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
roverend Kent Kinard
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
There were at least four different racks fitted to LHD SD1's- Cam Gears (similar to Volvo), Alford&Adler (early and late), Burman, and possibly AdWest.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links