Expansion tank sensor ?'s

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
The coolant temp sensor wire is frayed (1980 TR8). The spade lug on the expansion tank seems loose.

I am going to replace the wire.

Is the spade lug on the tank just a ground? Should I try to solder the lug to try to tighten it?

I've had the car about a month and today the coolant light was flashing intermittently, today for the first time. I am hoping the new wire will correct the problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
It grounds thru the coolant. It sits in a rubber grommet to insulate from the coolant tank. If it keeps wiggling, try a center punch on that rolled rivet thingy that holds the terminal to the probe. If you opt for a new probe, I think it crosses over with a Jag part.

New Jersey, USA   USA
Replaced the wire........light still flashing intermittently. Will add some coolant, tomorrow looked a little lower than 1" the filler neck. I wanted to see if the wire was the problem. I assume that check (1" lower than neck) is when the engine is cold.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
New Jersey, USA   USA
Cleaned all connections for the tank sensor. Added about 10 ounces of coolant, filled abou an inch below filler nack. Some coolant ran out when the car got to operating temp...... Light still flickers. Car not overheating.

Is there another wire I can check? Really looks like a loose connection.

New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500940 by TR8todd It grounds thru the coolant. It sits in a rubber grommet to insulate from the coolant tank. If it keeps wiggling, try a center punch on that rolled rivet thingy that holds the terminal to the probe. If you opt for a new probe, I think it crosses over with a Jag part.

Part number for the new probe C43222 and rubber sleeve C43221. Crosses to a Jag XJS

The previous owner also said there is a round cylinder under neath the dash that is part of the circuit. I cant locate this in the parts book.

Found this on Rimmers site under TR7 not TR8.... RKC5259J.....anyone know what this is?

New Jersey, USA   USA
Soldered the lug on the sensor. Cleaned the sensor, the lug, and the connector. Everything is working properly.

This document contains all the partt numbers and a way to test

Wedge ownersTest for coolant sensor

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster