AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

davmach1 Avatar
davmach1 Dave Leininger
Andover, Minnesota, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "The 8"
Was cleaning the Garage today and had to move the 8 so I drove it around a little bit before parking it in front of the house. 4 hours later Garage nice and clean I went to move her back into the garage and the door would not open. It unlatches the first click but wont come open. I had to crawl through to the other side to get in. Once inside we tried and tried to open it to no avail. Even tried hard shoulder and pushing with my legs still wouldn't go past the first click. Anybody have any ideas?

Dave Leininger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
After our TR8 came back from paint, the doors would also get stuck. Cleaning the overspray off the striker resolved the issue

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1499998 by davmach1 Was cleaning the Garage today and had to move the 8 so I drove it around a little bit before parking it in front of the house. 4 hours later Garage nice and clean I went to move her back into the garage and the door would not open. It unlatches the first click but wont come open. I had to crawl through to the other side to get in. Once inside we tried and tried to open it to no avail. Even tried hard shoulder and pushing with my legs still wouldn't go past the first click. Anybody have any ideas?

Dave Leininger

There is a piece of metal in the latch mechanism that gets bent over time, so pulling on the handle no longer moves the catch far enough to fully release the door. This might be your problem although I have never personally experienced it.

Even so, you should be able to get in the car and throw your weight into the door to get it to pop open (while pulling on the interior release, of course).

I have found that the 40 year old grease in the catch dries out, making the mechanism very sticky. Usually disassembly, cleaning, and some fresh grease will keep it from acting up. Hitting it with WD40 helps, but is usually temporary.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davmach1 Avatar
davmach1 Dave Leininger
Andover, Minnesota, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "The 8"
GOT IT!!!!!!! after a half a can of WD 40 and much screwing around I finally took a large metal Bar and put it between the seat and door an gave it a short sharp shock can you dig it and the door popped open. I then latched the latch with a screwdriver and it stuck again so I removed the latch and while cleaning it i took out the round rubber piece and a small chunk of plastic came out with it. Well i removed those 2 pieces and cleaned it all up and reinstalled the latch. Outside handle worked great inside hit or miss. I noticed that when the inside latch was pulled the little metal tab that unlatches the latch didn't go up as high as it does when the outside handle was pulled so i bent it up a little bit and viola works great. The door does seem a little loose so I think that rubber thing might have something to do with it. Does anybody have a drivers side door latch they would be willing to part with.

Attachments:
IMG_6853.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG    42.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
That looks great. I think I have a door latch, and I can offer a set, so you’ll have an extra. PM me for pictures and price.

In reply to # 1500187 by davmach1 GOT IT!!!!!!! after a half a can of WD 40 and much screwing around I finally took a large metal Bar and put it between the seat and door an gave it a short sharp shock can you dig it and the door popped open. I then latched the latch with a screwdriver and it stuck again so I removed the latch and while cleaning it i took out the round rubber piece and a small chunk of plastic came out with it. Well i removed those 2 pieces and cleaned it all up and reinstalled the latch. Outside handle worked great inside hit or miss. I noticed that when the inside latch was pulled the little metal tab that unlatches the latch didn't go up as high as it does when the outside handle was pulled so i bent it up a little bit and viola works great. The door does seem a little loose so I think that rubber thing might have something to do with it. Does anybody have a drivers side door latch they would be willing to part with.

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
The converibles can twist when parked on an angle or a hill. Make sure the ground is flst and even. This might work.

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
Same plastic piece broke on mine. Wedge Shop came through and I replaced both....40 year old plastic=not good...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1500187 by davmach1 GOT IT!!!!!!! after a half a can of WD 40 and much screwing around I finally took a large metal Bar and put it between the seat and door an gave it a short sharp shock can you dig it and the door popped open. I then latched the latch with a screwdriver and it stuck again so I removed the latch and while cleaning it i took out the round rubber piece and a small chunk of plastic came out with it. Well i removed those 2 pieces and cleaned it all up and reinstalled the latch. Outside handle worked great inside hit or miss. I noticed that when the inside latch was pulled the little metal tab that unlatches the latch didn't go up as high as it does when the outside handle was pulled so i bent it up a little bit and viola works great. The door does seem a little loose so I think that rubber thing might have something to do with it. Does anybody have a drivers side door latch they would be willing to part with.

I can see some pretty serious cracks in that latch, and given that they seem to be full of dirt, they have been there a while.

Forty year old plastic just does not hold up well. <sigh> I guess its true, they don't make them like they used to. cool smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster