Installing Relays for Headlights and Fog lights

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
I am going to install relays for my lights up front. One for fog lights and one each for Hi and Lo beams. I will use the existing hot wires for each light to trigger the relays. I did this for my TR6 and it works very well. I think it helps save the switches because all of the current for the lights will now go through the relays and not the switches. For the headlights in the TR6 I used the VB relay harness kit, but I had to modify it so much for a neat install I will just create my own harness.

I am planning this out right now. Thinking about installing the 3 relays in the area of the horns behind the bumper.

Does anyone have a better location they can suggest for the relays?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-26 12:03 PM by RossL.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
There was an article in a recent TWOA newsletter showing installing them under the speaker cover. If you get the right connectors, I don't think you need to cut into anything. That will save the switch from carrying the current, but still has the harness carrying the current. If you do as you are planning, then you can run a new, heavy power line which may help keep the voltage up.

One idea for mounting the relays is to mirror how the A/C relays are mounted on the other side of the engine bay.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
PICT0010.jpg    64.1 KB
PICT0010.jpg

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1499963 by darrellwalker There was an article in a recent TWOA newsletter showing installing them under the speaker cover. If you get the right connectors, I don't think you need to cut into anything. That will save the switch from carrying the current, but still has the harness carrying the current. If you do as you are planning, then you can run a new, heavy power line which may help keep the voltage up.

One idea for mounting the relays is to mirror how the A/C relays are mounted on the other side of the engine bay.

Ohhh. Relays with fuses built in. I want some....

Dammit man, you are full of useful ideas. I, on the other hand, am full of something steamy and brown with a powerful aroma. At least that is what my wife tells me. eye popping smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1500131 by Darth V8R
Ohhh. Relays with fuses built in. I want some....

Dammit man, you are full of useful ideas. I, on the other hand, am full of something steamy and brown with a powerful aroma. At least that is what my wife tells me. eye popping smiley

Vance

I can't claim credit, it came from Odd in Sweden.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Darrell, how did you gang those relays together and where did you find them?

nick

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1500627 by nick Darrell, how did you gang those relays together and where did you find them?

They are not mine. I've seen fuse holder blocks that snap together, but none with integrated fuses in a while. Another option might be a 4 relay block plus a four fuse block like this:

http://www.britishwiring.com/Four-way-Relay-Base-Housing-p/c814.htm

http://www.britishwiring.com/4-Way-Fusebox-for-Blade-Fuses-p/c147.htm

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster