AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Installing new starter
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
bcbennett Avatar
bcbennett Silver Member Brad B
Abilene, Texas, USA   USA
Hello All (brought this discussion from "What Did You Do..?" board),

I ordered a new (reman) starter and set about trying to remove the old one. The workshop manual says to drop the exhaust down and move it over to access the starter and solenoid. I removed all the bolts from the bracing brackets (two at bell housing and one at gear box), then removed the three nuts from the flange connecting the exhaust downpipe to the manifold. The next hour was spent trying to get the exhaust system to drop away. I pushed, pulled, tugged, and hammered, but although the flange moves a bit, I can't seem to make any progress.

Is there some magical way to free the exhaust system? Am I missing a connector somewhere?

Thanks for any help,

Brad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Without seeing the situation, my guess is the exhaust manifold studs in are rusted to the downpipe flange. Short of wedging something between the two pieces, you could try some Raster Blaster or some other penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. So I think persistence and muscle would be first. If that doesn't work more drastic steps may need to be taken.

nick

marko66 Mark OBrien
Anacortes, WA, USA   USA
-or, why I now have a header on my car... had to dismantle the old setup with a sawzall. That said, I have still not heard back from the folks at British Starters regarding warranty on my new starter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Brad,

The answer to your question is no. The solution to your problem will involve PB Blaster, hammers, pry bars, heat, and scrapped knuckles. I've owned my TR-7 since new and anything requiring R&R of the exhaust system was always a pain in the ass. If you get stuck you might consider disconnecting the exhaust manifold.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1500072 by marko66 -or, why I now have a header on my car... had to dismantle the old setup with a sawzall. That said, I have still not heard back from the folks at British Starters regarding warranty on my new starter.

That has been my experience as well, even when things are not rusted. The clamps are so tight that the pipes have been swaged together, and nothing will pull them apart. Used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on mine. Tsk, Tsk.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Brad,

We feel your pain, the original exhaust system was a rather complex arrangement of pipes, brackets, cat converter, mufflers, covers, fittings, etc.. When you add heat, wet, and age you get a rusty, almost inaccessible nightmare. Due to rarity of original parts I'm running an odd combination of original, fabricated, and universal parts, but it works and seems to keep the smog Nazis happy.

Vance,

Does that angle grinder count as a bigger hammer?

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
PB Blaster works best-try and get this solvent to sit on the bolt/nut with rag or paper towel 24 hrs...try to tighten then loosen wiggle back and forth.....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster