TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Do late brake shoes of the TR7 fit in early drum brakes?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

petrolhead Bart K.
Bles, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe
1976 Triumph TR7 "Simply Red"
Hi,

I'm about to service the brakes of my '76 TR7, and it raised a few questions.

The early brakeshoes don't seem to be widely available and they're considerably more expensive as the late ones.
In the parts manual, the entire late brake set is identical to the early set, from visual, but i'm doubting if that's also the case in reality.
So I was wondering wether late shoes also fit the early brakes.

Furthermore, 'Green stuff' pads are advertised, do these give you significantly more stopping power? Are they worth it?

I'd love to hear from your experience.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
If your car is a 76 with a the 4 speed gearbox and factory differential then the brake shoes are not the same as the later 5 speed cars. The later shoes will not fit. Check on this website. http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/tr/full.aspx?Page=29

I have Green Stuff on one car and ceramic pads on another. Both seem to be about equal under normal driving conditions. The Green Stuff produces more dust than the ceramic so more frequent wheel cleaning is required. I prefer the ceramic. Both of these option are better than the standard pads. Also, if you have not done so, replacing the brake lines with new rubber ones or stainless steel ones helps also.

nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-21 03:09 PM by nick.

petrolhead Bart K.
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe
Thanks for your reply!

I have a 5 speed, but with the early 3.63 ratio diff with the early brakes, so i'll have to buy the early shoes I understand.
Those prices are sure a lot better than here in the EU, an early shoe set here costs more than twice as much..
And buying it from US isn't really an option, prices are the same after import duties and such.

I have replaced the flexible hoses 1.5 years ago, but i'm still on standard pads.
I'm surprised you're positive about the green pads, the reviews i've read weren't all that praising.
But they were comparing to other cars than a TR7 so that may explain things.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, Illinois, USA   USA
When I had my '76 coupe a couple of years back I bought new shoes from Rock Auto. A quick check shows that they still have some available. The prices range from $10 to $15 dollars for a set. I think that's a bargain.

petrolhead Bart K.
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe
@BondoRacer That's indeed no price for a set of shoes. Here in NL they cost 85 inc. shipping, and I also need new discs and a pad set. I guess i'll just have to accept that you US guys are lucky regarding classic spare parts prices.

BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, Illinois, USA   USA
Hi Bart,
I should have looked at your location. Sorry. Yes sometimes we get lucky with low prices for our cars however for the things we can only get from England we do get hit with higher prices, the exchange rate and shipping so it seems to even out in the end. Good luck with your quest.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499251 by BondoRacer When I had my '76 coupe a couple of years back I bought new shoes from Rock Auto. A quick check shows that they still have some available. The prices range from $10 to $15 dollars for a set. I think that's a bargain.

I like Rock Auto prices. When I ordered brake shoes from last time they sent me the wrong ones. I needed the larger but they sent the ones for the earlier cars. When I called them they sent me the correct ones and did not ask me to return the others. So I now have a brand new set of shoes for the early cars which I can't use.

nick

petrolhead Bart K.
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe
In reply to # 1499359 by nick (...) So I now have a brand new set of shoes for the early cars which I can't use.

I'd gladly take 'em off your hands if it wasn't for the high rates for US/NL postage. Those costs alone are higher than the price for a set of shoes, if you're not a bussiness.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
When I get back to my shop next I will see if I can find them. Send me an email with your address and I will get a shipping estimate. If you think it is worth it I will send them for the cost of shipping.

nick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster