TR8 Fog light ?'s

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
My car has the fog lights installed but they are not working. The switch is there but it doesn't even light up. The fuse is fine. I assumed there would be a relay but the schematic I have does not show a relay. Also the schematic shows two right and two left bulbs. I noticed the switch has two positions.

How are the lights supposed to work? Are there two beam patterns.

I am getting ready to look into this. But I need to understand how the lights are supposed to work. Any input would be appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
I think you might have to have the headlights ON for them to work? Mine are funky and they worked when I tried them, but "a Gentleman does not motor about at night", so I don't use them.

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, California, USA   USA
My 1980 TR, was missing the fog lights when I bought it. I found a new old stock from the 1970's still in the box.
I installed them, comected the lights to the existing plugs, turned the switch on, and nothing. The switch lights up, but no fog lights. I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts, still nothing, so you are not alone.
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
havfam George Haversang
Montville NJ, USA   USA
It is a 2 position switch. One for front fog lights, the other for rear fog light. Rears are a UK thing. Check the connectors by the headlight plugs then clean the switch contacts. Be careful, I think the switch is NLA.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Al is correct, in the US you have to have your headlights on to be able to turn on the fog lights. There is a relay that the dealers added to force that. Typically, it cuts into the harness in the wiring under the fake speaker cover, and the relay is down by the driver's right foot, usually mounted to the same screw that attaches the radio console in that area.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498983 by darrellwalker Al is correct, in the US you have to have your headlights on to be able to turn on the fog lights. There is a relay that the dealers added to force that. Typically, it cuts into the harness in the wiring under the fake speaker cover, and the relay is down by the driver's right foot, usually mounted to the same screw that attaches the radio console in that area.

I didn't see the relay on the schematic, I guess this explains why. After I check everything with the headlights on, I am going to start looking for relay and ohm out the switch today.

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498983 by darrellwalker Al is correct, in the US you have to have your headlights on to be able to turn on the fog lights. There is a relay that the dealers added to force that. Typically, it cuts into the harness in the wiring under the fake speaker cover, and the relay is down by the driver's right foot, usually mounted to the same screw that attaches the radio console in that area.

My fog lights do not need the headlights on for them to work. I got my car new with the lights installed but to be honest I don't know whether they were dealer or factory installed in the first place. They've always worked (now I've done it) so I've never investigated whether or not the wiring looks to be 'factory' or not. Got me wondering though. They have yellow lenses and are HELLA brand. Is this OEM? By the way, the white plastic covers that snap over them have become extremely brittle and mine can't be used at all. So if the lamps you have are Hella and you've still got intact covers take care of them because they are NA.

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Mine is a 1979 30th Anniversary of something edition and the fog lights were part of a package, so I assume they were factory (Dealer) installed. The rt. one wouldn't light although everything seemed to check out, so I simply ran another wire from the left to the rt. and last time I checked, they worked, but I don't use them so who cares? Does look nice in the daylight, however.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here are the dealer installation instructions for the fog lights.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
jrt_fog_lamp_installation_instructions.pdf    104.7 KB

New Jersey, USA   USA
My lights are Bosch Pilots. Must have been installed by the previous owner. They were never connected to +12. I found factory wires behind the headlights and they work with the fog light switch ONLY. No relay on this car which I like because I will use them as daytime lights with the headlights off. They have some type of white barrel female connector. What would the male connector be? Is this a standard lucas "bullet"? (like on the older TR's)

Next I have to check the bulb in the switch, which does not light.

I am also considering installing a relay to use a larger wire from the battery/starter to power the lights. At some point I will do this for the headlights too.

Any good places to get +12 and to mount the relays? I am thinking about trying to get +12 from the starter and add an in line fuse. Not sure were to monut the relays at this point.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1499005 by RossL My lights are Bosch Pilots. Must have been installed by the previous owner. They were never connected to +12. I found factory wires behind the headlights and they work with the fog light switch ONLY. No relay on this car which I like because I will use them as daytime lights with the headlights off. They have some type of white barrel female connector. What would the male connector be? Is this a standard lucas "bullet"? (like on the older TR's)

I am also considering installing a relay to use a larger wire from the battery/starter to power the lights. At some point I will do this for the headlights too.

Any good places to get +12 and to mount the relays? I am thinking about trying to get +12 from the starter and add an in line fuse. Not sure were to monut the relays at this point.

Ross:

The bullet connectors are metric, so do not be tempted to purchase bullet connectors at the local auto parts store, they will damage the connector when you try to make them fit. Instead, get the bits you need from British Wiring.

Second, there is a +12 lead in the AC harness you can use. It will handle the juice because it is meant to supply current to the AC clutch, which is a big power hog. If your car is like mine, the AC harness is unused anyway. The plug is located at the top right of the radiator, inside the engine compartment. If you don't have AC, there will be nothing connected to it. You can mount the relay right by that connector, above the headlight.

IIRC, the hot wire will be the Light Green wire in the plug. British wiring can supply the multi-pin plug that first the harness, so you can make the whole installation neat and professional.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499009 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1499005 by RossL My lights are Bosch Pilots. Must have been installed by the previous owner. They were never connected to +12. I found factory wires behind the headlights and they work with the fog light switch ONLY. No relay on this car which I like because I will use them as daytime lights with the headlights off. They have some type of white barrel female connector. What would the male connector be? Is this a standard lucas "bullet"? (like on the older TR's)

Ross:

The bullet connectors are metric, so do not be tempted to purchase bullet connectors at the local auto parts store, they will damage the connector when you try to make them fit. Instead, get the bits you need from British Wiring.

Second, there is a +12 lead in the AC harness you can use. It will handle the juice because it is meant to supply current to the AC clutch, which is a big power hog. If your car is like mine, the AC harness is unused anyway. The plug is located at the top right of the radiator, inside the engine compartment. If you don't have AC, there will be nothing connected to it. You can mount the relay right by that connector, above the headlight.

IIRC, the hot wire will be the Light Green wire in the plug. British wiring can supply the multi-pin plug that first the harness, so you can make the whole installation neat and professional.

Vance

I have Bullet Connectors from British Wiring, just wanted to make sure that white barrel would accept them.

My car has working AC. So I guess I am back to the starter for +12

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1499015 by RossL
In reply to # 1499009 by Darth V8R
Ross:

Vance

I have Bullet Connectors from British Wiring, just wanted to make sure that white barrel would accept them.

My car has working AC. So I guess I am back to the starter for +12

Not necessarily. Pull the pin that supplies power to the AC clutch from the AC harness connector. Replace the pin, and connect the original wire to the clutch AND a wire to supply the driving lights, reinsert the pin. Easy-peasy.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

New Jersey, USA   USA
After cleaning the switch contacts and using a test light I was able to determine the following my car (1980 TR8), which also seems to match the schematic.

Front fog work with the Fog Switch in position 2 OR 3 (position 1 is off). The Head Light on or off, no affect on front fog lights
Rear fog lights on ONLY when Fog Switch is in position 3 AND Head Light is on (Low Beam only)
Indicator Light on Fog Switch ONLY lights when rear fog lights are on ( Fog Switch is in position 3 AND Head Light is on (Low Beam only)

I assume my fog lights were installed recently and never wired to the JRT spec as attached above (see post #9)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-21 09:39 AM by RossL.

Attachments:
1980 schematic.pdf    398.7 KB

havfam George Haversang
Montville NJ, USA   USA
That is how mine works. So, the fog lights now work?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster