30,000 mile red oxygen sensor light

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, California, USA   USA
In my 1980 TR eight I found a two prong wire disconnected underneath the brake master cylinder .
When I connected the wire the red oxygen sensor light on the right side of the dash lit up.
From what I hear from Woody at the wedge shop, there should be a way to reset that light every 30,000 miles anybody have any ideas?
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1498216 by Ron Avery In my 1980 TR eight I found a two prong wire disconnected underneath the brake master cylinder .
When I connected the wire the red oxygen sensor light on the right side of the dash lit up.
From what I hear from Woody at the wedge shop, there should be a way to reset that light every 30,000 miles anybody have any ideas?
Ron

Ron:

Sounds like now you know why it was disconnected. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I suspect the instrument cluster has been disassembled at some point, and the multi-pin connector to the cluster got mis-wired (wires can get loose and back out of the plug, then you have to figure out where they go, bend them a bit to keep them from backing out, and reinsert them).

Connecting that wire to the MC should activate the brake warning light, not the O2 sensor light. The brake warning switches can fail, as do the master cylinders.

Get the wiring corrected so the brake light comes on. The determine if the switch is bad (probably) and replace it, or rebuild the MC.

Unless your car is injected, you don't have an O2 sensor. And if you do have an O2 sensor, reconnecting the warning switch on the MC should NOT make it light up.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Ron Avery Ron A
Vance,
My car is injected. The plug for the brake warning light is connected, and does work. The connector I and talking about is a plug with two round prongs, one end goes into the wiring harness that goes through the fire wall just near the master cylinder behind the dash. The other end of the wire comes out of A white plastic rectangular block it looks to me to have the speedo cable going into it. This is were the other end of the plug is coming from.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1498284 by Ron Avery Vance,
My car is injected. The plug for the brake warning light is connected, and does work. The connector I and talking about is a plug with two round prongs, one end goes into the wiring harness that goes through the fire wall just near the master cylinder behind the dash. The other end of the wire comes out of A white plastic rectangular block it looks to me to have the speedo cable going into it. This is were the other end of the plug is coming from.
Thanks,
Ron

Ah. Your reference to the MC confused me. There is a plug that attaches to the MC, at least on my car. Sorry about that.

Yes, the way to reset the light is to reset the service counter, which you describe as a white plastic block. There will be a clear window in it with some digits that indicates the mileage since the last time the O2 sensor was serviced.

There will be a small button (3/8" or so) on the counter, with two small holes in it. There was a special key (a "service indicator reset key", as I recall). It has two small tangs on it that fit into the holes on the button. One would then turn the key and the mileage indicator would roll back. You keep turning the key until the mileage reaches 0, and the light will go out.

You might be able to get the key from the big three, Rimmer, or perhaps eBay. or they may be NLA. Dunno.

You can also use a pair of snap ring pliers to turn the reset button.

Me, I would use snap ring pliers just because I already have them. You may wish to get the key. It is cheap, and easier to use. Then toss it in the glove box.

In theory, when you reset the counter, you are supposed to replace the O2 sensor. Most people report better running and fuel economy when they do, but your mileage may vary.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Ron Avery Ron A
Vance,
I will check into it.
Ron

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
My car was injected, now it's not but the o2 service reminder is still connected (why not?). Every 30k it lights up.

Growling-Grinnall-V8 Avatar
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Alastair Campbell
Portadown, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
Take the bulb out?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster