1980 TR-7 AC Delco Coil/Distributor Issues

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomzale Thomas Zale
Arlington Heights, IL, USA   USA
Im a newbie to this forum. My wife has this great car but it aint going anywhere fast. Its a 1980 TR-7 with the AC Delco Coil. My problem is that this part is no longer available anywhere. Replacing the part would be the simplest solution so if anyone knows where I could get one, let me know. If not Ill have to do a conversion as outlined in the article. Im looking for anyone who may have done such a conversion to work with my mechanic to get this puppy up and running. I would of course like to keep the original distributor if at all possible but at this point Im open to suggestions.

Tom Zale
tom@evergreenfinancialpartners.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
529623564.jpg    55.5 KB
529623564.jpg

530820826.jpg    51.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR7_SU_Conversion.pdf    609.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
It might be a good first step to clean all the mounting and electrical power and grounding points. Maybe that is not the fault, but start simple...

The most common TR7 Delco ignition failure I am are of is the electrical module inside the metal housing of the coil, where that wire plugs in from the top left of the first photo. The module underneath is a Delco module that is the same (or similar enough) to ones used on a variety of GM cars through the 1970's and maybe into the 80's. I don't have better information, but maybe someone else will enlighten us. This module is not very expensive to buy, so you may get running again easily!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Stag

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links