Radio update

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Don Andy Silver Member Donald Andreozzi
Flat Rock, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
I am wondering where would be best to connect the "memory" wire on my new radio. It needs to be hot even when the car is shut off in order to store the programmed info. I am not much of an electrician but I was able to follow the wire color code on the old radio and it does work but the only hot wire is switched. Any advice would be appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1497847 by Don Andy I am wondering where would be best to connect the "memory" wire on my new radio. It needs to be hot even when the car is shut off in order to store the programmed info. I am not much of an electrician but I was able to follow the wire color code on the old radio and it does work but the only hot wire is switched. Any advice would be appreciated.

The lead to the cigarette lighter is hot at all times. I connected my radio memory wire to that. Do not be tempted to hook the switched power to that as well. There is a separate lead in the wiring harness for that.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497950 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1497847 by Don Andy I am wondering where would be best to connect the "memory" wire on my new radio. It needs to be hot even when the car is shut off in order to store the programmed info. I am not much of an electrician but I was able to follow the wire color code on the old radio and it does work but the only hot wire is switched. Any advice would be appreciated.

The lead to the cigarette lighter is hot at all times. I connected my radio memory wire to that. Do not be tempted to hook the switched power to that as well. There is a separate lead in the wiring harness for that.

Vance
+++

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thanks Vance I took your advice and tried the lighter but as it turns out the wire to the lighter is dead. While searching for a hot wire I did find one just hanging under the fuse box, not connected to anything. It's a reddish brown wire with a female connector on the end. Looked around to see where it might go but could not find its male counterpart anywhere. I couldn't trace the cigarette lighter wire very far so I do not know the source of that problem. I am going to dig in a little more but may end up just using hot wire I did find.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
There are not that many services that operate with the ignition switch off. Since your cigar lighter is inop is it possible that dangling wire you found is the cause? Other than the lighter, the only things I can think of that are hot are lights. But with these cars you never know what sorts of ideas the PO had.

nick

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1498036 by Don Andy Thanks Vance I took your advice and tried the lighter but as it turns out the wire to the lighter is dead. While searching for a hot wire I did find one just hanging under the fuse box, not connected to anything. It's a reddish brown wire with a female connector on the end. Looked around to see where it might go but could not find its male counterpart anywhere. I couldn't trace the cigarette lighter wire very far so I do not know the source of that problem. I am going to dig in a little more but may end up just using hot wire I did find.

Don:

There are two wires to the cigarette lighter. One is a ground, the other is hot. The hot lead is the one connected to the center pin on the end of the lighter. That *IS* the wire you checked, isn't it? Not trying to insult you, just wanted to make sure that everything was clear to you. The hot wire may be missing or taped out of the way.

Vance

Vance

Yes I did check the wire connected to the rear of the lighter. I have one wire going to the lighter light, one ground connected to the side and a double purple wire connected to the rear. This is how it was connected when I removed lighter and I assumed it was correct although the lighter did not work. I did run a temporary ground to eliminate the possibility of that being bad but still no power. Still wondering about hot lead I did find as I know there are not very many hot all the time circuits on the car.

Darth V8R Avatar
Purple is the correct color, and it is supposed to be a double purple. So the correct wire is connected to the lighter. This power feed also handles the courtesy lights, the horn relay, the headlight relays, and the hazard flasher.

Are all of these working? If not, most likely a fuse is blown or it has corroded contacts.

If they all work and the purple lead at the lighter is not hot, suspect an open between the hazard flasher (not the switch) and the lighter. If the hazard flashers are not working, your problem is upstream of the hazard flasher.

Vance

Courtesy lights, horn and emergency flashers do not work. I know the flasher needs a new switch. Everything else does work, headlights etc. I have been searching for the horn relay in the usual spots but haven't located it yet. Does the horn relay have a purple wire?

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1498369 by Don Andy Courtesy lights, horn and emergency flashers do not work. I know the flasher needs a new switch. Everything else does work, headlights etc. I have been searching for the horn relay in the usual spots but haven't located it yet. Does the horn relay have a purple wire?

Yes. At least according to my schematic it does. I have not tested its veracity.

According to the schematic, there is a connector in the hot wire between the headlights, and the lighter, horns, emergency flasher. If that connector were open, then the headlights would still work but the others would not. The schematic shows one purple wire into the connector, and two wires out. As to the physical location of said connector, well I haven't a clue. But it would explain your symptoms if it were disconnected, corroded or otherwise open.

As to the horn relay, it is behind the rear of the glove box along with the headlight relays, the starter relay, fuses and the seat belt buzzer.

Vance

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
On earlier cars the horn relay is under the hood behind the wiper motor.

nick

jrhickmn Avatar
jrhickmn James Hickman
Sevierville, TN, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Maggie Rose"
1963 MG Magnette MkIV "Iris"
1966 Jaguar 3.8S
1972 MG MGB GT "Liz"    & more
just say'ing, but i put a electric cut-off switch, one of those with the removable red key, on the heel-board behind the passenger seat. turning and removing the key cuts everything but the radio memory. this is possible because i ran a wire from the hot side of the switch (with an in-line fuse on the wire) straight to the radio memory.

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1498491 by nick On earlier cars the horn relay is under the hood behind the wiper motor.

Nick:

Yes, that is correct. His tag line says his car is a 1980, so I am assuming that it has the later wiring harness with the relays located next to the fuses. Of course, I have been worng so many times before on these details that it may indeed have the earlier harness. <sigh> confused smiley

Vance

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498715 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1498491 by nick On earlier cars the horn relay is under the hood behind the wiper motor.

Nick:

Yes, that is correct. His tag line says his car is a 1980, so I am assuming that it has the later wiring harness with the relays located next to the fuses. Of course, I have been worng so many times before on these details that it may indeed have the earlier harness. <sigh> confused smiley

Vance
Vance,
I saw the early post and the fact the car is an 80. I only added that comment for general information. Someone reading this tread may have an older car and can't find his horn relay. That happened to me. After owning my 1980 car I bought a 76 car with an inop horn. Took me a while to find the relay.

nick

I did find the horn relay behind the fuse box and it was bad. Thanks all for your assistance.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster