TR8 Winter Thermostat

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
Does anyone run a 195 in the winter? My car has a 180 right now. TR8 is stock with stock carbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 09:28 PM by RossL.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
All the TR8's coming to North America were originally fitted with 190F rated thermostats to help meet emissions requirements. That was pretty standard in the late 70's and early 80's before there was much computer control. You could switch to a 190, but your 180F one should work fairly well unless you really are planning on New England style winter driving... where you need to melt freezing rain or blowing snow at temperatures below 10F or so.

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503900 by dhuddleson All the TR8's coming to North America were originally fitted with 190F rated thermostats to help meet emissions requirements. That was pretty standard in the late 70's and early 80's before there was much computer control. You could switch to a 190, but your 180F one should work fairly well unless you really are planning on New England style winter driving... where you need to melt freezing rain or blowing snow at temperatures below 10F or so.

My car came from Arizona, maybe that's why it has the 180.............. I may try the 190 and see how it runs. I was concerned about the FSAD......... Car seems to run very rich when the chokes are engaged. At some point I will do some reading and try to adjust the chokes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
180F is a bit better for power (cooler makes for denser air, which can burn more fuel and in turn make more power).

The limit is that your oil needs to get to a minimum temperature to cook off combustion byproducts and moisture which combine to form acids that damage the engine.

The chokes will also remain on unless the engine comes up to a minimum temperature as well.

180F should be just fine, rain or shine. Your temperature gauge should be just below the 1/2 mark with thermostat, so no reason to change it.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Agree, 180° should be perfect. Mine runs just about 1/2 between the quarter and the half mark on the stock gauge when it's pretty cold outside, 20° +. Not that it's out much in those temps 'cause usually means season end is near. In the summer, a bit higher, just under the half mark as Vance says. Even in New England this car would run a little under or a little over the three quarter mark with it's stock 190° but to be fair the cooler thermostat was installed at the same time all the never used A/C was removed, including the condenser. That alone would have restricted airflow even with the A/C off. Add the hot air it created with the A/C on and you can see why 190° A/C cars got so hot. More than likely why your Arizona car's owner put in a cooler thermostat. Bet it still got too hot.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links