How do you attach a front tag?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
NJ requires a front license plate, my car (TR8) never had one. Is there a bracket or just drill into the bumper and use screws?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
My TR8 was previously registered in Ontario and has two screw holes in the upper part of the centre recess of the front bumper for the front plate; we do not have front plates in Alberta. There was no front plate bracket when my car arrived in Alberta.
You can barely see the holes/marks in the front bumper.

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 04:35 PM by TeeR8.

Attachments:
TR8, VSCCC Breakout, 2013 Apr 27.jpeg    80.5 KB
TR8, VSCCC Breakout, 2013 Apr 27.jpeg

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here is how I attached mine. There were not any holes in the bumper when I got the car, and I didn't want to make any. I grabbed this bracket from the auto parts store, I think they are often used on trailers, and the black plastic backer plate (which isn't really needed). I then used a large fender washer to secure the bracket using one of the bumper cover bolts. I keep telling myself that I should affix the washer to the bracket, but it hasn't fallen off yet.

This is the bracket, you have to bend it a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-428-09-Universal-License-Bracket/dp/B002IVEOR4/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510267165&sr=1-8&keywords=license+plate+bracket&dpID=31s-1Ic0GNL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1067.jpg    22.8 KB
IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg    45 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496983 by darrellwalker Here is how I attached mine. There were not any holes in the bumper when I got the car, and I didn't want to make any. I grabbed this bracket from the auto parts store, I think they are often used on trailers, and the black plastic backer plate (which isn't really needed). I then used a large fender washer to secure the bracket using one of the bumper cover bolts. I keep telling myself that I should affix the washer to the bracket, but it hasn't fallen off yet.

This is the bracket, you have to bend it a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-428-09-Universal-License-Bracket/dp/B002IVEOR4/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510267165&sr=1-8&keywords=license+plate+bracket&dpID=31s-1Ic0GNL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

That's very clever. I'd do that except my front bumper was drilled from the get-go. On a slightly different note I believe it was up to the dealer to drill plate holes front AND rear. In the rear my dealer did a crap job with one hole about 1/4" lower than the other so I have to re-drill a hole in the plate to square it up.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1497145 by POW
That's very clever. I'd do that except my front bumper was drilled from the get-go. On a slightly different note I believe it was up to the dealer to drill plate holes front AND rear. In the rear my dealer did a crap job with one hole about 1/4" lower than the other so I have to re-drill a hole in the plate to square it up.

I also use the same plastic mount on the rear, it has lots of places for holes, so you can get it straight and drill new holes, and not have to mess with moving one of the existing holes. I also like how it set the plate out a bit from the back panel.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-79150-Mounting-Plate/dp/B00032K4VA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510345991&sr=8-4&keywords=license+plate+mount&dpID=41F6B57QXGL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster