AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
All:

This weekend I was elected Membership Chairman of the Shenandoah Valley British Car Club.

One of the things I want to make an effort to achieve is recruiting young members as most of our members are 50+.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum membership.

Thanks,

Larry Gray

ALL:

I've received 65 responses in one day from the various forums.

Thanks for your input.

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 04:27 PM by lgray001.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Offer free tattoos!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
I can offer one suggestion of what not to do....don't make club meetings like a high school student council meeting.....smileys with beer

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1496322 by lgray001 All:

This weekend I was elected Membership Chairman of the Shenandoah Valley British Car Club.

One of the things I want to make an effort to achieve is recruiting young members as most of our members are 50+.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum membership.

Thanks,

Larry Gray

Larry:

I suppose we should step back and ask why we are [British] car enthusiasts.

When I was younger, two things attracted me to cars - first, performance. Anything to do with improving handling or power had my attention. Second, the styling and uniqueness of British Cars, convertibles in particular, because of the excitement with owning something different and enjoying top down motoring. When I saw a TR6 for the first time I was struck with the "Hey, look at me" uniqueness.

OK, so if you want to attract younger members, I think you will need to appeal to them in one of those areas. Some suggestions:

1. A dyno day - make sure you welcome brands that have a youthful appeal (Japanese, maybe Honda vtecs?) and advertise it in such a way that young people will come. Facebook comes to mind, but that may be out of date. Social media for sure. It will need to be inexpensive enough that young people can afford it. Maybe advertise it as the British vs Japanese face off - is your [Japanese] car up to facing a British car?
2. Handling workshops, once again advertise using social media.
3. Engine mod workshops, use social media here as well. You will need to discuss that new fangled thang called fuel injection. eye popping smiley

All of the above would be best if you could somehow work in a Japanese engine or chassis as part of the show. Difficult when we are into 40 year old British designs, but I think that is what it will take. If you want a little bit more mature audience, you will need to aim a bit higher in terms of the car models and projects you select for the workshops.

Handling is relatively cheap - sway bars, bushings, lowering and so on.

Engine performance - think low cost and simple. K&N filters, engine timing, cold air kits, cat back exhaust, under drive pulleys - you know, bolt on horsepower. Young people don't have much money.

All of this is whale of a lot more work than staging the occasional rally or two.

Just spit balling.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster