TR8 Air Intake and choke (cold start stuff) need reference

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Ross LoMonaco
New Jersey, USA   USA
My car (not yet delivered), has ZS carbs and chokes. I am also getting (not installed on the car), the air diverters that allow hot air into the intakes. I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of a stock car's air intake system.

Where can I find information to adjust the chokes? I live in the Northeast and will use the car as long as there is no salt on the roads. The car has been in Arizona for most of it's life (then Alabama), so I am assuming I will need to make some adjustments. I have a factory TR8 manual on its ways also.

Any other tips for cold weather usage?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1496046 by RossL My car (not yet delivered), has ZS carbs and chokes. I am also getting (not installed on the car), the air diverters that allow hot air into the intakes. I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of a stock car's air intake system.

Where can I find information to adjust the chokes? I live in the Northeast and will use the car as long as there is no salt on the roads. The car has been in Arizona for most of it's life (then Alabama), so I am assuming I will need to make some adjustments. I have a factory TR8 manual on its ways also.

A good article on the water chokes is here.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

REXUK Rex Holford
Southampton, Hampshire, UK   GBR
If you go to www.tr8archive.co.uk there is a full description of how to adjust TR8 carbs. Click on Tinsey's Tips

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1496046 by RossL My car (not yet delivered), has ZS carbs and chokes. I am also getting (not installed on the car), the air diverters that allow hot air into the intakes. I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of a stock car's air intake system.

Ross:

The picture in the ROM was the only one I could find that was clear.

1. Thermostatic mixing chamber. Attaches directly to filter housing using a hose clamp.
3. Hot air shroud, attached to exhaust manifold with nuts (2) and studs.

The hose from the hot air shroud to the mixing chamber is corrugated aluminum 2" (?) tubing, available at any good auto parts store.
The hose from the cold air vent (inner fender well, to the rear of the headlight) to the mixing chamber is reinforced flex air ducting, 2-1/4" (?) also available at any good auto parts store. Please double check the sizes as I am citing these from memory - always doubtful in my case.

I got my ducting from a local Auto Parts store. It is off the shelf stuff, used widely for emissions and defroster ducting. So it is dirt cheap. You can also get string reinforced ducting almost identical to the original from aircraft spruce.

BTW, the links above are just examples. They are not necessarily the exact size. Just wanted to give you an idea of what to look for.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Attachments:
Heat chamber.jpg    27.6 KB
Heat chamber.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster