AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Listers,

I have two TR8's and have done the job "fixing" the seats a couple of times.

In the last week or so person on the list was commenting their recliner would not engage and hold the seat back up. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION the cause is likely that the seat frame has failed.

I knew that my FHC8 had a weak seat and today I took it out. I had a difficult time getting the fabric off the seat frame. I welded the break and add some extra metal.

These seat fail just in front of the weld for the recliner. The tube cracks. Why? ??? Just in front of the crack if one looks under the frame rail the rail is indented. Why ???. I took care of my issue but in the future I would do it in a more effective manner. The rail is indented and I would cut a bit of metal to fit this space ad weld it at a 90degree to the length of the rail. Then I would put a piece along the bottom. Yes some close welding in a tight spot but such a manner would certainly make it strong.

Remember in these cars the seat belt fastens to the seat. If your seat is not secure I would fixit today!!

Happy Motoring !!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW MY SUGGESTION. It will cause you a MASSIVE PROBLEM !!

The indent at the rear of there main bottom seat tube is for the seat belt mounting tube ! ! !

In the end I laid some 1/16 material in the indent and welded the edge of same. I then laid extra material on top of this spot.

This is just in front the area which is THE spot that fails.

Please if your seat back has any wobble to it fix it now. Such a seat is likely NOT SAFE and could possibly fail in an accident.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster