AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gas tank fill
  This topic is about my 1977 Triumph TR7
old guy Avatar
old guy bob k
sparta, tn., USA   USA
OK I give up , how do you get the fill tube in the hose and on the tank. I have had the tank cleaned and coated and put in the car, now for the fill tube. confused smiley Tried to put the tube in the hose and then on the tank, but can't get the hose on the tank in that small space, So I put the hose on the tank, however now the fill tube does not want to go in the hose. How did they do it at the factory, because I found a composite basket in the tank that fits on the end of the fill tube, I left this basket off the tube , because there is no way that it
will go in the hose.
.Anyone done this and know the best way?eye popping smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
The best way to install the hose and tube is to do it before you hang the tank. I am not sure it can even be accomplished after. I have done this job twice and hope never to have to do it again. Fitting that tank is a major pain. The second time I did it I had the differential completely off the car and it was still a struggle. Some of that could be mitigated if you have a lift to assist in raising the tank. But to lay on your back and fit the tank and hold it with one hand and try to attach a strap with the other is tough. Really a two man job. So with the fill assembly attached first you have to fit that side of the tank making sure the tubes goes up correctly under the metal fill neck.

nick

gerald4247 Avatar
gerald4247 Gerald Davies
Ventura, California, USA   USA
I recently did the same job with the same struggle but it can be done. First of all put the rubber hose on the tank pipe via the access plate in the trunk. Then align with the filler hole on top of the trunk (normal gas filler hole). Next secure the lower hose clamp on the hose to the tank, tighten securely.
Then pull the rubber filler hose down and out to the access hole in the trunk as much as you can. Now for the difficult part, attach the basket part to the metal filler tube and add some suitable lube (something that will not contaminate fuel), then push and twist the metal pipe down into the rubber pipe and tank, keep trying, when you find the correct alignment it will go into position. Next you will need to push the whole rubber and metal pipe under the body panel vial the trunk and onto the filler connection a firm but gentle push. Secure the whole lot with the top clamp, attach the plastic finisher with the three screws and fit the filler cap.
It is a frustrating job so be patient and it will work

Good luck
gd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gerald4247 Avatar
gerald4247 Gerald Davies
Ventura, California, USA   USA
Forgot to mention, while you have the metal filler insert out of the tank, be sure the metal sleeve with the flap at the bottom is not loose in the outer pipe...if it is you will need get it repaired.....give it a good pull up and down to test

good luck

gd

old guy Avatar
old guy bob k
sparta, tn., USA   USA
Thanks guys for the help,
You were right it had to go in from the top to tank assembled as one piece. Got the wife to help as I had tried before and could not get hose on tank and push it on. Only took an hour.
So how did they do that on the line at the factory? Sure would like to go back and see them put it together.

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Hello,

I fI remember the inner metal tube is only spot welded to the outer with a couple of tack welds.

Both of my cars have had this tube come loose. I would pt in some extra weld points.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Two sections of tube are soldered together. Flapper is tack welded and its those tacks that fail.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links