AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8 Serpentine conversion
  This topic is about my 1982 Triumph TR8
Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Berkley, Michigan, USA   USA
Gents:

I am upgrading to a 3.9-liter engine for my 1981 TR8 automatic.
The engine is from a mid '90s Range Rover.
I'd like to keep the serpentine drive.
Has anyone done this install in a TR and can you share with me what needs doing?
Many moons ago I saw Bill Derkson's awesome black coupe with a 4.0 and serpentine drive, but I don't know how to get in touch with him.
Anyway, I know it can be done. I just need to figure out how to relocate the alternator and install the proper pulley on the P.S. pump or switch to a different pump.

Thanks,
Rich Truett
Detroit

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ontario, Canada   CAN
I will send his contact info to you

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, Missouri, USA   USA
Might want to think about switching to the manual rack and electronic power steering. While you're in there.

1980 TR8
2006 XC90 V8
2008 328xi
2011 XC60 T6 RD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
There is lots to overcome. Do you plan on keeping the distributor? Are you going to run the crank driven g-rotor oil pump?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1494299 by Rover827 Gents:

I am upgrading to a 3.9-liter engine for my 1981 TR8 automatic.
The engine is from a mid '90s Range Rover.
I'd like to keep the serpentine drive.
Has anyone done this install in a TR and can you share with me what needs doing?
Many moons ago I saw Bill Derkson's awesome black coupe with a 4.0 and serpentine drive, but I don't know how to get in touch with him.
Anyway, I know it can be done. I just need to figure out how to relocate the alternator and install the proper pulley on the P.S. pump or switch to a different pump.

Thanks,
Rich Truett
Detroit

Rich:

The PS pulley is simple to replace. You need the puller for it, which costs a whopping $18 from Summit. Same for the serpentine pulley - $12, Summit sells them.

My PS pulley was badly bent, the previous owner had used it as a pry point to get something loose. It wobbled so badly I was amazed it didn't immediately throw the belt. Got the tool, got a new pulley, job done. Easy-Peasy.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
Quote: As far as mounting the alt lower, Tom did something simular to what I did. The way it is lowered is by making an adapter plate to lower the mounting holes on the cylinder head. ...

http://tr7triumph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8937

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
Got it thank you so much.
Bill's car is nothing short of amazing and is very likely how it would have evolved if BL had let the TR8 live its natural life until the end of the '80s.

Rover827 Avatar
Rover827 Rich Truett
It looks like I can package everything but the air conditioning compressor.
Another option is using the 1991 Range Rover layout, which puts the Sanden/Sanyo type compressor where the TR8's alternator lives, and the alternator where the TR8s Harrison rotary compressor lives.

My car has automatic and air conditioning and I plan to keep it that way.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster