AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
So since I'll be taking my engine out, I thought I would take the opportunity to install a reinforced clutch arm. Especially since I have an uprated pressure plate.

Most of the reinforced arms have a piece of plate steel welded across the front, over the dimple where the pivot sits. But I've also seen a few (like the picture) that have strips added to the sides as well. Does the arm need reinforcement there as well?

I've also seen recommendations of welding a washer around the dimple area, I assume one sized to accommodate the dimple. Is that needed, if I go with a plate across the whole thing?

Thanks!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 2.01.44 PM.jpg    21.8 KB
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 2.01.44 PM.jpg

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Never seen one bend, but I have seen the rod push thru the dimple several times. That center force clutch takes a lot of leg to move. Ted has ones made up that don't require the same effort. A friend of mine has one in his TR8, and I like it. In fact I plan on installing the same one along with Ted's aluminum flywheel into my white 4.6 coupe. My friends car makes over 300 ft pounds of torque from 2800 to 5400 rpms and Te'ds clutch works perfectly. I'm intrigued by the clutches made by Spec. Just waiting for one of you guys to be the guinee pig.

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1492727 by TR8todd Never seen one bend, but I have seen the rod push thru the dimple several times. That center force clutch takes a lot of leg to move.

Thanks, I'll just worry about the reinforcement across the dimple.

Maybe Woody changed what pressure plate he provides, or I'm stronger than I think, but I really didn't feel any difference between the stock pressure plate and the Centerforce. And both are lighter than my TR4A. Not in Honda category, but not what I could call heavy, either.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Update, I got my new clutch arm from Rimmer Bros, and it is already reinforced.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster