Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lopezibor Javier Lopez-ibor
Marbella, malaga, Spain   ESP
Dear friends,

I have a Tr7 2.0 twin carbs. I have bought this car 2 years ago and was running amazing.

Today, I cleaned the car after 1 month stopped in garage. Before cleaned it I started and everything was all right. I let the engine 10 mins working and then stopped it. after 1 hour I did it again and everything perfect. Then stopped, went home to pick up some things, and when I came back to run the car, I tried to start it (with the air) again, the engine made two normal explosions and the nothing.
The starting engine works good and strong, even stronger when I connect the battery to a modern car. I was trying again and again, the starting engine was working good, but no explosions.
All red lights working as always. I can imagine is happening an electric problem?? because the engine was working smooth. all fuses are ok.

Can it be stuck gas in carbs or something else??

I have no more ideas,,,

Thanks, Javier.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Don Andy Silver Member Donald Andreozzi
Flat Rock, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
My carbs leak oil so when mine cranks and don't start I top off the carbs and that takes care of the problem. It could be many other things but I always start there.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
When you say you cleaned the car did you wash it? Did you get the engine area wet? If so after drying it should be OK.

It also could have been flooded with gas in the cylinders. If so it should be OK after waiting.

If you still have the problem let us know.

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dear Andy and Nick, Thanks for your reply.

I still have the problem. (I cleaned the car with no water and in the engine I just sprayed a bit of WD40 to prevent oxidation.

today I disconected the fuel tube from the gas pump. and crank the engine to clean the carbs and cilinders of flooded gas, nothing changed.

Also I carefully opened the ignition distributor, was clean. I cant check if the electricity arrives to plugs, because Im alone. I have checked that arrives to ignition coil.

now I think it can be something in the ignition distributor, but I dont now,,

Please Andy can you explain me a bit about oil leaking. what do you mean with top off?

Also I have checked that the oil level is a bit high, this could cause some problems trough the engine breather which is connected to the carbs?.

If the cilinders are flooded, should be a good idea to remove the plugs to let gas come out?

thanks my friends, Im a bit lost.

Don Andy Silver Member Donald Andreozzi
Flat Rock, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
The carburettor piston dampners need to be unscrewed and the oil level filled(topped up) to a 1/2 inch below the top. That is the cap on the top of each carb. You should feel resistance when reinserting the piston dampner. The oil in my carbs leak a little and I have to check the level once a month to insure starting.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
With all do respect to Don's post, the oil in the carburetor has nothing to do with starting. That oil acts as a damper for sudden throttle change. If your oil is leaking out there is a rubber seal that can easily be replaced.

nick

Dear friends,

Thanks for your answers. I have check the electricity is arriving properly to the spark plugs creating strong and constants sparks in every of the four pistons.
I have check the carburetor´s float chambers, there was petrol in then at 70% showing that the float is working properly.
About the carburetor´s oil dumper is in good conditions, with oil in them at the correct level, soo it means there is no leaking.
I have visited a mechanic to ask; He thinks probably will be dust in the needles.
Then I think my next step will be to disable the carbs and clean them properly (Im pretty sure them never have been cleaned).
I´m finding some info over the net about the HS6.

Any sugestion about how to clean the needles and if this is the correct way to solve the problem?

Thanks for your help, Javier.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster