Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
My dad and I are almost finished with our 1980 TR8 DHC. Now, we need to do the interior and to install graphics. Are there any special tricks we should know about? The car has been buffed after a respray, so do we need a wax and grease remover before applying the decals?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1491696 by M1kem3 My dad and I are almost finished with our 1980 TR8 DHC. Now, we need to do the interior and to install graphics. Are there any special tricks we should know about? The car has been buffed after a respray, so do we need a wax and grease remover before applying the decals?

I just used some Windex to clean the areas, then smoothed the decals on. A few air bubbles are inevitable, but I found that a fine needle would puncture them and not leave any visible marks. So my decals are bubble free.

I used painters tape to lay out the spot where the decal was going to be placed. I could lift and re-adhere the tape until I was satisfied with the placement, then apply the decal. Then remove the tape.

I have heard that you can use a spray bottle and mist some water onto the surface, then apply the decal and slide it around as needed, but I have never tried it for fear of having it start sticking before I was satisfied.

I also could not resist guilding the lily a bit. I bought a 2x3" peel and stick union jack, and a 2" V8 badge, and placed them on each side of the license plate. Both of them are metal, the V8 badge being powder coated black. Together they were a whopping $8.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster