Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mike6279 Avatar
mike6279 Michael S
Hubert, NC, USA   USA
Does anybody have the instructions on changing a timing chain on a 1980 TR7 . I have the timing cover off and i have a loose chain.
How do you make sure the crank is a TDC as there are no marks. If i use the pully and the timing cove to set the crank at TDC is that correct?
Any advice will help thats for sure. I have been looking for a video or instructions online but have found nothing.

Thank You
Mike Simonds
1980 TR7 Owner

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Michael,

The first tool you should purchase for your car is the Robert Bentley TR-7 Workshop Manual. It will tell you everything you'll need to know.

navydiver Rob Cornick
san diego, california, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR7 "The Pumpkin"
1977 Triumph TR7
1978 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR7 "The Plum"    & more
yep need to follow sliproc's advise, but as you've already started, you can find the manuals online. The easiest way to get the engine to TDC is to pull number one plug and rotate the engine till no1 is at TDC however if the timing chain is already off you run the risk of catching valves unless you remove the cam. As you're that far into the engine already it is probably a good opportunity to do the valve clearances which requires removing the cam. The setup process is fairly detailed for the timing chain as one tooth out makes a huge difference on this engine, so you really need to follow the manual step by step to get it right. You also need to get the jackshaft lined up correctly as well or you'll end up having to pull the distributor.

1975 TR7 FHC Ca Spec ACL 4spd
1976 TR7 FHC Ca Spec 4 spd (Temp add)
1977 TR7 FHC ACW 5Spd
1978 TR8 DHC ACT FI development car 5 Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd
1981 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
Mike,

As stated, you have to get a repair manual, especially if you want to work on this car. I know if you order it, it'll take a week to get it. So, I took pics of the instructions and the torque wrench settings for you.
There is a timing mark on:
Crank pulley, distributer to intake bolt, camshaft mark and jack shaft mark.
I don't know if you need new chain guides or a spring tensioner. I would replace those items and the oil deal and chain. You don't need an excuse to go back in there.
Have fun,

Chris

Attachments:
IMG_2172.JPG    73.8 KB
IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG    61.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2177.JPG    56.9 KB
IMG_2178.JPG    58.8 KB
mike6279 Avatar
mike6279 Michael S
Hubert, NC, USA   USA
Thank you everybody for your input. It is much appreciated. Yes I do own a Haynes manual for this Car. I was looking for what some of the other manuals on the market have to say and thanks to Chris I have my answer. The tensioner is explained in greater detail and also the reference to the jack shaft . It gave me reference points. I rebuilt this motor a yr ago and now it has a loose chain. From what I can tell is it stretched. I have a new one coming from Rimmer brothers. The one made in Germany as they tell me does not stretch. As the other one has a tendency to stretch. Yes I am replacing the guides and tensioner as like the chain are a yr old. But for the time involve taking it apart the cost out ways the time. Again than you everybody for you help and advice..

Mike
35 YR TR7 owner...

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Just make sure you buy a new chain tensioner when you replace the chain.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Michael,

I have a Haynes manual too, it's a good quick reference guide but I wouldn't use it for a job like this. Stick with Robert Bentley he won't let you down.

Chris,

That is some awesome patina you've got going on your workshop manual.

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
Thanks Kevin, LOL! You see that the 3-ring binder has also seen its days. I really need a new one. My Haynes manual sits new and untouched on the shelf.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links