AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1502584 by darrellwalker I got some unexpected time yesterday, and got everything buttoned up, and decided to start it and break in the cam.

It started up quickly, and while holding it at 2000 RPM, I didn't hear anything unusual, at least from the driver's seat. I had planned on just setting the idle speed to 2000 on the FiTech, but the engineers there I guess decided that 1650 was a reasonable max RPM. I was also maxing out the IAC anyway.

Darrell:

How did the new cam sound? Probably a bit smoother than your previous cam I am guessing, and I think you will find it performs well compared to your previous setup. The dual pattern cams really are noticeably superior to the single pattern designs.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1502585 by Darth V8R How did the new cam sound? Probably a bit smoother than your previous cam I am guessing, and I think you will find it performs well compared to your previous setup. The dual pattern cams really are noticeably superior to the single pattern designs.

It sounds good, and does seem smoother, though hopefully I'm also now using all eight cylinders, instead of seven and a little bit smiling smiley

Ran for 15 minutes just now, no leaks, the headers are done smoking, had good oil pressure. No wild coolant temp swings, so the bypass seems to have solved that issue. I shut it down to cool, and so I can top up the coolant if needed, then will do another 5 or 10 minutes before changing the oil.

Also did some coarse timing adjustment (turn the dizzy until it sounds better), will break out the timing light at some point to fine tune it.

Vacuum also seems improved, at least from what the FiTech was reporting (it is in MAP, so I'm still getting comfortable with that). Not unexpected with the difference in LSA.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Job done!

Ran in the cam a bit more, then changed the oil and put the bonnet on.

Ran out of time for a proper test drive, but did back out of the garage and take a victory lap around the cul-de-sac, just to make sure the brakes and clutch were working OK.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0023.jpg    45.9 KB
IMG_0023.jpg

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Always nice when a new engine works as advertised. The bottom Allen headed socket on the D&D can be difficult to access. I used a ball end Allen to tighten mine using a 1/2" or so box wrench slipped over the short end for a little extra leverage. Was also thinking of cutting the short 90 off the Allen wrench and using a 1/4" drive on it.

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Got a chance for a quick test drive (down to the tire store to get a tire mounted on the matching wheel that I picked up, now I could actually put the spare on the front wheels if needed). It was all surface streets, so I didn't get too heavy on the gas, but it surely seems very peppy, perhaps even more so that the TQ20 cam. I did't wind it up to 4-5K, where the TQ20 really started to sing, but for the RPM range I actually use day to day, I'm really liking the Crower cam.

Thanks for the recommendation, Vance!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links