AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, California, USA   USA
Hi Darrell,
looks like somebody got there moneys worth out of those bearings. FWIW with the crap that may have been floating around that you don't see is it really worth a couple hundred bucks to take a chance on the old parts. I was always taught that if you take it apart replace everything you can and start a fresh,that way you don't have an engine with xxx miles on the bearings, zzz miles on the rings and etc.. You'll know it all starts again now. My $.02. Thanks, Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Got my headers back from having the ceramic coating redone, and the block is stripped down and cleaned up, ready to go to the machine shop.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_1055.jpg    41 KB
IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg    43.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1495290 by darrellwalker Got my headers back from having the ceramic coating redone, and the block is stripped down and cleaned up, ready to go to the machine shop.

Darrell:

Sha-zam! Tri-y headers. Great choice for the street. Combined with that cam you will have a sweet setup. Torque monster. cool smiley

OK, so I am mystified. What started out as a cam replacement is turning into an all out rebuild. I certainly get the cam swap, and the teardown looking for damage, but now it is going to the machine shop. You mentioned the cam bearings, is that the reason? What else are you doing? Boring it out to 3.9? Stroking to 5.0? Supercharger? Nitrous? Nitromethane? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I must admit, between you and Todd I feel like a real girly-man. Todd builds ICMBs and disguises them as wedges.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1495302 by Darth V8R OK, so I am mystified. What started out as a cam replacement is turning into an all out rebuild. I certainly get the cam swap, and the teardown looking for damage, but now it is going to the machine shop. You mentioned the cam bearings, is that the reason? What else are you doing? Boring it out to 3.9? Stroking to 5.0? Supercharger? Nitrous? Nitromethane? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hi Vance,

Nothing so exotic! Though I have to admit that I have measured a bit to see if a Vortech supercharger would fit in the area where the A/C compressor used to be. smiling smiley

As I got deeper into the engine, I found some evidence of wear, probably caused by either the initial problem (the spacer from the valve cover gasket), or the subsequent destruction of the lifter and cam lobe. While I could have just replaced the cam and called it good, I decided to take the safe route and fully disassemble and clean things.

The trip to the machine shop is to have the cylinders honed (decided to not try that myself), install new cam bearings (ditto), and maybe clean the block. Though it is quite clean, I will see their thoughts on pulling the oil gallery plugs to make sure they are clean. I'm also going to have them check out the crank. I think it is OK, it mic'ed out OK before, and still checks out (though I would never bet anything on my ability to read a micrometer).

So I'll have new main and rod bearings, new rings, new cam, lifters and timing chain/gear.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1495306 by darrellwalker
As I got deeper into the engine, I found some evidence of wear, probably caused by either the initial problem (the spacer from the valve cover gasket), or the subsequent destruction of the lifter and cam lobe. While I could have just replaced the cam and called it good, I decided to take the safe route and fully disassemble and clean things.

The trip to the machine shop is to have the cylinders honed (decided to not try that myself), install new cam bearings (ditto), and maybe clean the block. Though it is quite clean, I will see their thoughts on pulling the oil gallery plugs to make sure they are clean. I'm also going to have them check out the crank. I think it is OK, it mic'ed out OK before, and still checks out (though I would never bet anything on my ability to read a micrometer).

So I'll have new main and rod bearings, new rings, new cam, lifters and timing chain/gear.

-Darrell

Darrell -

Saaaay... Do I see top hat sleeves in that block?

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1495334 by Darth V8R Darrell -

Saaaay... Do I see top hat sleeves in that block?

Vance

No, I think you are just seeing the marks from the head gasket.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_1057.jpg    35.9 KB
IMG_1057.jpg

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
When the wrenches start a spinnin' it's hard to stop them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1495363 by POW When the wrenches start a spinnin' it's hard to stop them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You got that right. I could tell the story how a leaking brake master cylinder lead to a frame off restoration on my 66 TR4A....

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Block and crank dropped off at the machine shop They felt it would be a good idea to grind the crank. Will be ready in about a week. Oh well, gives me time to clean up all of the other parts!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster