Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Took advantage of the Moss Motors 20% discount sale and ordered new front struts and associated parts for replacement. WoW! What a crappy job! Currently still in the process of completing the job, but I think I finally have a handle on it! Never realized that the roll bar had to come off as well. Pretty tedious job re-building the shock tower! The car definitely needed this done! One of the rubber bumpers was half gone! The rubber boot was barely a skeleton of what once was. Should be able to finish the job tomorrow. NOT a simple out with the old and in with the new procedure!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Don Andy Silver Member Donald Andreozzi
Flat Rock, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
I did the same this year and it is a more difficult job than described in the books and posts. Just getting the rubber boot back over the strut is a challenge. In fact every step of the process was a challenge.

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Agreed! Pretty miserable job all the way around. Took me 3 days, but all seems to be good, now. Definitely needed it. Like a new car in the way it handles! Glad I won't be doing it again any time soon. That rubber boot was a real pain as was the top of the strut assembly. Had to do the driver's side 3 times before the shaft from the strut seated itself! Done and DONE!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
If it makes you feel any better,
it all comes off 100 times easier next time you have to do it!

Because old TR7s just love antiseize compound.

smileys with beer

AroostookTR7 Avatar
AroostookTR7 Keith Brown
Washburn, Maine, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "Geraldine"
Glad I read this post. It will be my winter project. I have purchased struts but no other parts yet. Are any of the smaller parts available at parts stores, or should I go direct to Moss?

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
I ordered everything from Moss then realized that most of the "original" stuff was of better quality and in pretty good shape so I re-used most of everything that I could, (i.e. the rubber bushings, strut mounts, etc.) I DID replace the springs as well. Not sure that was needed, but the struts themselves definitely were and made a big improvement! I then did the rears and they were so horrendously simple, you could do them every year! The spring actually "falls out"! Very simple procedure. Bought all the cheapest stuff as it's not a daily driver and probably won't get many new miles. Enjoy!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster