Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
A new tank has been sitting in the garage for about 6 months so today I decided I would tackle it . Having done this job once I was pretty sure I knew how it would go. Along with the tank job I have been meaning to swap differentials between my two cars. The gear ratio on the DHC is more suited to the FHC 16 valve Sprint. So I removed the diff but found the custom exhaust was in the way of removing the tank. So it had to come out. Once out I couldn't get the new one in. First the stainless brake line had to come off. Next the parking brake/exhaust bracket had to go because the parking brake cable was in the way. Finally I was able to muscle the thing in place. It turned into a 7 hr job. What a pig. Tomorrow the Sprint differential comes out and the DHC diff goes in. Wish me luck.

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
whitenviro United States Whitman
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
And I always wonder why I can't get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. There's always something in the way or needs to be done first. "I can't build the deck on the back of the house honey, because to do that I first need to replace the basement electrical panel so that I can dig a trench to the shed. Then, I can start thinking about a deck".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 04:53 PM by whitenviro.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1491050 by whitenviro And I always wonder why I can't get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. There's always something in the way or needs to be done first. "I can't build the deck on the back of the house honey, because to do that I first need to replace the basement electrical panel so that I can dig a trench to the shed. Then, I can start thinking about a deck".

Well Dan, the problem is your priorities are skewed. Always ahead of home electrical and deck rebuild comes your TR7. Admittedly lights at night are important, but certainly the deck can wait.

Finished up the fuel tank installation. Swapped the differentials. Man those things are heavy. Took the Sprint for a ride today and found I overlooked swapping the gearbox speedo drives. Until I realized it I was thinking, man this thing is rock ship with this 3.9:1 differential. Then I went by one of those speed radar readouts along the side of the road and found my speedo was showing 8 mph high. I can't remember right now but isn't that just a matter of disconnecting the cable from the gearbox and popping out the plastic gear?

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Nothing would please me more than putting a Sprint head, header and a set of higher compression pistons in my Spider. Even the appearance is so much cooler then stock and the 20 or so bump in horse power would sure raise the bar in the driving experience not to mention the safety factor. If I’m not damn careful around here I would get run over every time I get out on the freeway. Sprint heads and the associated parts are so expensive I doubt that I’d ever be able to do that but hopefully someday California will change the smog laws that will allow me to do the other.

My compliments on a nice car.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Nick,

The sprint head cars are really cool and rare, it's unfortunate they never got into regular production and distribution. I'm curious, did you build your sprint or did you find it?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1491154 by Rburgess Nothing would please me more than putting a Sprint head, header and a set of higher compression pistons in my Spider. Even the appearance is so much cooler then stock and the 20 or so bump in horse power would sure raise the bar in the driving experience not to mention the safety factor. If I’m not damn careful around here I would get run over every time I get out on the freeway. Sprint heads and the associated parts are so expensive I doubt that I’d ever be able to do that but hopefully someday California will change the smog laws that will allow me to do the other.

My compliments on a nice car.

Its more like 30 HP. The performance is close to the TR8, but without the torque or V8 sound track. sad smiley

I always thought it was darn clever the way they used the existing motor, and a single cam lobe for both intake and exhaust valves.

As to the smog laws, there are ways to keep the smog police happy and bump the power, but you would not be able to change anything visible. Head porting, valve job, cam, compression come to mind. K&N air filter, high flow muffler, etc. OK, not as much fun as adding bling to the engine bay, but very effective. If you have one of the single carb motors, you can go to the federal twin carb manifold to pick up some breathing as well.

I get tested and inspected every two years here in the Portland metro area, and with some care you can get good performance and pass your smog tests easily. Just takes a bit more planning.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 11:52 AM by Darth V8R.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1491157 by sliproc Nick,

The sprint head cars are really cool and rare, it's unfortunate they never got into regular production and distribution. I'm curious, did you build your sprint or did you find it?

I acquired the head on ebay and the other parts from various sources. Apart from some machine shop work I assembled the engine and installed it in my garage.
But as has been written in this forum numerous times, if power is what you are looking for there are far better ways to achieve it over a 16 valve conversion for about the same money. I did it just because I wanted to.

nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 01:13 PM by nick.

sliproc Avatar
Nick,

"I did it just because I wanted to" is the best possible reason for doing it! Since you live in Oregon like Vance, who has to get his car smog tested every two years, how do you get around the visual part of the smog test? BTW California has the same requirement---every two years tailpipe and visual test.

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1491384 by sliproc Nick,

"I did it just because I wanted to" is the best possible reason for doing it! Since you live in Oregon like Vance, who has to get his car smog tested every two years, how do you get around the visual part of the smog test? BTW California has the same requirement---every two years tailpipe and visual test.

The metro areas of Oregon are saddled with the smog test. I don't know exactly where the borders are but in Central Oregon, where I am, we have no requirement for smog tests. Consequently neither of my cars have any smog equipment.

Commenting on Vance's description of added horse power for the 8 valve engine, about 4 years ago I changed out my pistons on my '79 DHC to 9.25:1, added a mild cam, headers and K&N filter. That made the car about 2 sec faster on some not very scientifically conducted 0-60 runs. At some point I would like to dyno it to see where it on HP and torque.

The FHC Sprint was a single carbed CA car with a trashed head. I cobbled the head back together and added a couple of SU carbs. But it was a dog due to low compression. Additionally the head was leaking water. So I made the conversion to Sprint. It only made sense since I needed a new head and a ring job at the least. That car now is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than the DHC. Both speedo were calibrated against a roadside radar sign to ensure consistency. But the Sprint really makes it's money at the higher RPM range so the lower speed numbers are not that meaningful. So I really should try a 1/4 mile. And at some point I would like to Dyno that car as well. Unfortunately we have no shop nearby that has the equipment. Maybe one day I will take it Portland. Vance, do you know a shop I could use?

nick

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Like everyone else, I love the sound of a V8 and the idea of having one in such a small car is very attractive; however there are some things to be said for keeping the four banger. Especially as pointed out when dealing with the smog police. I also like the simplicity of the smaller motor and room in the engine bay to work without hitting a ten in the frustration scale. A 25% increase in horse power would be enough to make me very happy. Enough to get up the hills and pass slower cars without seeing my life pass before my eyes.

Are the performance upgrades mentioned possible on a fuel injected setup?

sliproc Avatar
Randy,

Anything is possible, just not in California. If you make the modifications Nick did your smog numbers will go right off the charts. Your car will run great you just won't be able to get it registered in California.

Nick,

I'm officially jealous. Cool factor, rarity factor 10+

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1491394 by nick
The metro areas of Oregon are saddled with the smog test. I don't know exactly where the borders are but in Central Oregon, where I am, we have no requirement for smog tests. Consequently neither of my cars have any smog equipment.

Commenting on Vance's description of added horse power for the 8 valve engine, about 4 years ago I changed out my pistons on my '79 DHC to 9.25:1, added a mild cam, headers and K&N filter. That made the car about 2 sec faster on some not very scientifically conducted 0-60 runs. At some point I would like to dyno it to see where it on HP and torque.

The FHC Sprint was a single carbed CA car with a trashed head. I cobbled the head back together and added a couple of SU carbs. But it was a dog due to low compression. Additionally the head was leaking water. So I made the conversion to Sprint. It only made sense since I needed a new head and a ring job at the least. That car now is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than the DHC. Both speedo were calibrated against a roadside radar sign to ensure consistency. But the Sprint really makes it's money at the higher RPM range so the lower speed numbers are not that meaningful. So I really should try a 1/4 mile. And at some point I would like to Dyno that car as well. Unfortunately we have no shop nearby that has the equipment. Maybe one day I will take it Portland. Vance, do you know a shop I could use?

There are several dynos in the Portland area. PRE Racing has a chassis dyno. $100 for three pulls. If you wish to do some tuning, it is $150/hr - you drive and do the tuning. There are others. My limited experience has been that the absolute numbers are not reliable, but they are good for tuning because you can see the power output increase as you make changes.

As to the smog inspection, all I know for certain is Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties (Greater Portland area) all get checked/inspected. I believe also Jackson, Lane and Marion counties get tested, but I am not 100% on those. The inspection is pretty loose, the last time all he did was check for CAT removal on my car. Sometimes they lift the hood, but short of a blower sticking up through the hood and open headers, I am not sure what it takes to fail that part of the visual. For the modern cars with OBDII, if the computer passes the car, you are done - no inspection. If they think your car is too loud, they will set up a mike and make you rev the engine. I have seen people right in front of me fail for noise - usually a rice rocket wannabe with a straight pipe instead of a muffler. Had a buddy with a BMW and a Dinan exhaust system fail for noise.

The cutoff is 1974 and older cars, which do not get tested, ever. The cutoff has not changed in at least 20 years.

As Nick pointed out, the more rural counties do not get tested at all. So you need to be careful when you buy a car to make sure that the PO did not desmog it. When I bought my TR8 up in Washington, the PO did not get tested and all the smog gear was removed from the car. He handed it to me in a box, but most of it was scrap. Had to replace it all. CATs, Air Pump, EGR. A few bits and pieces were salvagable. <sigh>

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links