Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
I'm in the process of reassembling our TR8 Persian Aqua DHC. I bought another one grille because the original one was all broken up. However, there is a chunk missing. We decided to match an original and a "new" piece. For some reason, the grille as a whole does not align with the rivet holes and the indentation of the fender. What can i do to fix that?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1489445 by M1kem3 I'm in the process of reassembling our TR8 Persian Aqua DHC. I bought another one grille because the original one was all broken up. However, there is a chunk missing. We decided to match an original and a "new" piece. For some reason, the grille as a whole does not align with the rivet holes and the indentation of the fender. What can i do to fix that?

Michael:

When you say "grill" may I assume that is referring to the trim strip immediately above the front bumper? It is two pieces, and held in place by push fasteners, black plastic construction. It attaches to ears that are part of the nosecone and extend downward from the nosecone sheet metal.

Any chance the car took a hit in the nose that pushed around the sheet metal? Another possibility is that the original plastic has shrunk slightly due to weathering and age.

Aftermarket reproduction parts frequently have fitment problems. If the sheet metal seems to be in good shape but the holes are not close to lining up, I would just drill some additional holes in the ears and call it good. If the trim strip ALMOST lines up, but you cannot get the OEM push fasteners to cooperate, you might try what I used.

I did not use the original plastic push fasteners on mine, they were too brittle, the holes did not line up perfectly, and I broke a couple trying to get them inserted into the trim strip and sheet metal. I went to my hardware store and got some Christmas tree fasteners, and those worked just great. No breakage, inexpensive, tight fit, perfect match.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster